BodyThrust is having no effect at all

I want to be able to have BodyThrust propel the character in question to the left, however, it doesn’t seem to be doing anything at all. Is there something I’m doing wrong, does anyone have any insight on this? I’ve tried to check the Roblox Developer Wiki but it hardly explains how the BodyThrust.Force actually works.

Within a Server Script

if Dash == "Left Dash" then
		Activated = true
		print ("Left Dash has been performed.")	
		-- Insert Dash

local DashForce = Instance.new("BodyThrust",Player.Character.HumanoidRootPart)
		DashForce.Name = "Dash"
		DashForce.Force = Vector3.new(-20,5,0)

wait(Cooldown)
		Activated = false

It successfully prints “Left Dash has been performed” meaning that the script reaches that point, and the BodyThrust is even inserted into the Player.Char.HumanoidRootPart, but it has no effect.

1 Like

The thrust may be too small to create an effect since the mass of players is quite high.

1 Like

I tried -1000 but it had no effect

Using the second argument of Instance.new is deprecated: PSA: Don't use Instance.new() with parent argument

I believe I had a problem with this before, characters could not be affected by thrusts while touching the floor.

1 Like

Moved the Parent below the Instance but it still doesn’t work, do Thrusts just not work if the character is touching the floor? I also tried using it in the air and it didn’t work

This is in a ServerScript?
Have you tried it in a LocalScript so it affects the Humanoid?

1 Like

Yes, it’s in a Server Script. I haven’t tried it on a Local Script, no, wouldn’t that mean that an exploiter could just change the values on their client? And does it even have to affect the Humanoid for it to propel the character, and can’t you alter Humanoid from the server and the client?

This can already happen as it is. The way roblox is made allows exploiters to do this at their will regardless.

No yeah, I know they can affect the Humanoid values from local and do much more than that, but they can’t affect a server-related event directly (Without changing values passed from the client) can they?

I’m not sure but it likely has to do with Humanoid states.

Try enabling the “FallingDown” state.

1 Like

I tried it, nothing changed. Maybe I just shouldn’t be using Body Thrust, I’ll try something else

1 Like

They have control over anything parented to their character as well.

1 Like

I had just heard issues with animations or other things working better using local rather than server scripts.
It was just a thought. Did you try it anyway?

Yeah, I tried it. It pretty much had the same effect as on the Server, I eventually got it to work, but BodyThrust doesn’t really have the level of control that I want. I’m going with BodyVelocity instead