Bridge made with RopeConstraint, disappearing shortly after having contact with the character

So, I tried to create a bridge made with RopeConstraints, but besides swinging a little more than desired, it disappears (it is thrown to the winds) is there any way to avoid this? (the bridge disappearing)

I’ve tried looking for some similar posts, but I couldn’t find any that had a good solution.

Bridge before physics simulation

Character walking througth the bridge

Apparently the process of the bridge disappearing is just accelerated by the player, I tried to run just to see the server, and it disappears anyway

Have you tried to make the planks of the bridge thicker? I have heard of issues with characters walking on pieces that are too thin and the physics having issues.

It doesn’t seem to solve it, but I saw this post, but I didn’t understand how to do it since the HingeConstraint apparently sticks two parts

There’s also this one that says this, but it was in 2018 and they said they were working on it, so I don’t know anymore

I think the best thing to do is create an anchored bridge and use the Ropes just for decoration, unfortunately…

I found this in the toolbox, use at your discretion, but it is good to maybe pick apart and learn from:
bridge.rbxm (13.7 KB)

Well it’s a little different from what I thought I’d do, but from the current physics that Roblox is in, I think this is the closest you could get, thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

Have you tried to increase the ropes Restitution property? So that it gives a little.

Yes, I tried, but it didn’t seem to change much apparently the post I sent above says that very short ropes cause mathematical instabilities, and long ropes wouldn’t do much good either so I think the best alternative was the one you proposed, for decorative purposes.

1 Like

I was messing around with rope bridges recently and found a few tricks to make them work better. I don’t have time right now, but if you could send me a copy of the game or even just the bridge, I could try to figure out what’s wrong.

Ok, here’s the file bridge.rbxm (7.3 KB), I apologize if there are many things wrong, I don’t know how to handle it very well

Thank you very much in advance.

1 Like

I fixed your bridge by removing the rope constraints that were fighting in the vertical direction. If you want to visually put ropes there that have cancollide to false this will be your best bet. However I was able to walk up and down the bridge with no issues, and if you wait a bit, the bridge comes to rest.
NewBridge.rbxm (7.1 KB)

2 Likes

This is a good idea. Though I believe the main problem with the original bridge was that it contained connected parts with a high mass ratio. Our current physics solver has stability problems when a very light part is connected to a very heavy part.

2 Likes

That makes sense yes… i wish in addition to making parts massless, we had the option of distributing mass across all parts connected with a new class of weld constraint. Sort of like an assembly mass that divided any specified constrained parts evenly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.