BSOD when cleaning up local servers

I’ve been getting exactly the same error for the past days and I’m in the exact same situation as you. Well all we can do is wait for a fix from Roblox and hope for the best!

1 Like

I’ve been facing the same issue here. The blue screen usually occurs when I press cleanup from the server window. I’ve had it happen multiple times in the last two days.

My specs are:
Windows 11 - Version 23H2
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 2080 Super
32gbs RAM

Here is my BlueScreenView report, same UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

2 Likes

Does the issue here happen only when Cleanup on the Server is pressed, or any Cleanup button? (There’s a couple known issues around cleanup, including sometimes not actually cleaning up.). Generally we expect Cleanup to be used from the launching instance of Studio, not the Client or Server instance. Does it replicate in that case? This would help narrow it down.

I can confirm this issue is happening for me as well, I have a .dmp file (3 of them) that I can send if needed and can confirm it happens whenever I click cleanup. And yes, with my experience it appears to only happen when cleaning up on the server instance, the client ones work fine if I can recall exactly. I do not usually cleanup on the original studio instance, but I can test that as well to narrow it down.

I have some betas enabled and can get a list of those as well.

This issue is happening when you press any Cleanup button, so the button that is next to play test, it doesn’t matter if it is on the server or client a BSOD happens for me on any Cleanup button.

What about the original studio instance (the one that sticks around when you hit cleanup?). Does it happen then? Also, is this occurring if you just close the instances rather than use cleanup?

Machine information (OS, GPU drivers, etc) would be helpful too, as well as any log files from these runs. Please DM them over. We have yet to reproduce this locally so any additional info will help track this down.

I usually clean up from the original studio instance so I would say this happens from the main studio instance (not the server or a client). I’m not too fond of voluntarily doing bsods, so take this with a grain of salt.

Machine information

Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22631
NVIDIA Studio Driver version 552.22

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X
AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
64GB RAM of G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 16GB)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB
ROG STRIX X399-E
Corsair CP-9020180-NA RMX
Dell U3417W (3440x1440)

It happens on the original studio instance yeah. If you close them it doesn’t happen that is a fix I use right now or click leave the game in the roblox menu only when using cleam up

@Plutonem To confirm though as a few users have said, you are working around this by closing the windows individually?

Also, if anyone can recall, does this happen on specific places, or any place (including blank baseplate) can trigger it?

Yeah this seems to do the trick for now. Haven’t experienced it again since I started doing this. I’ve had it happen on two different games from under different groups and even on one that was a baseplate with a few R6 characters.

This happends on any place, that you click the clean up button on in Roblox Studio.

Can confirm that closing from the original studio instance still causes this. Just experienced my third BSOD. It happens almost instantaneously once I press the cleanup button.

1 Like

This happens to me but when I attempt to close Studio due to a hang.
It seems that everyones cause is a double fault within Windows.

1 Like

Hello all!

I’m actively investigating this issue. I see many of you have posted general system specs where you are encountering the issue, and Ryzen 7 3xxx specs seem to be a common denominator for a few of you.

@Aerodymier @TheCaptainGooey (or anyone else experiencing this on a Ryzen machine) would you mind DM’ing over a dxdiag, so I can try to assemble a machine that mimics your set ups as closely as possible?

Also, while it seems to be reproducing in any place file for most of you, I would appreciate DM’ing me your place file/s, as well, just in case =)

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hey all! We just applied a change to Studio, that encompasses much of the Clean Up functionality.

We still haven’t been able to reproduce this issue at Roblox, so this change isn’t necessarily targeting the BSOD issue directly. With that said, it is a refactor that does improve the way Clean Up functions overall, so we’d like to verify if the issue still reproduces for you all, now that this change is active.

Those of you who are impacted by this issue, could you update to latest Studio (if applicable), and attempt to reproduce this issue again?

Thank you for your continued patience, while we investigate this issue!

4 Likes

Ok I think I tested like 15 times so here’s what I found:
BSODs no longer happen and I noticed that local test clients shut down a bit slowly now, just like before where we did not have the BSOD issue.

However there’s a new issue:
The cleanup button in Studio no longer works. It doesn’t do anything. Client and Server cleanup buttons work fine.

Nvm, after reopening Studio this new “issue” is surprisingly gone now.

1 Like

Its possible you got in a bad state during the rollout of the new fix. Previously the cleanup button didn’t really work 100% (or even 10%!) from the client, and sometimes not from the server. The fix was to normalize the shutdown procedure no matter where the button is clicked, so cleanup should “just work”. In this case we’re wondering if this new shutdown procedure eliminates the shutdown path triggering the BSOD. It’s a bit of a shot in the dark since we haven’t been able to replicate the conditions of the crash on our end, but knowing if it does affect the crash is useful too in tracking it down.

1 Like

Yes, the latest update eliminated the BSOD for me, I might not have stated that clearly. I tested multiple times and did not get a BSOD which normally I would.

2 Likes

Thanks - would be great if some of the other respondents to this thread could also see if the problem has been resolved.