Bullet Trail (FASTCAST)

Hey, so I’m trying to achieve a bullet trail for a weapon that currently uses fastcast and I’m thinking which is the best way to do it, I tried preloading the bullets with a trail but the issue is the trail starts showing only 50-100 studs after it’s fired, so it doesn’t really look that nice. I’m looking forward to improving it so it shows exactly when the bullet is fired, but I see that the bullet trail resets itself after a certain lenght, peraphs it’s an issue, so I tried making the lenght bigger, didn’t really help that much. Another thing I have thought of is the speed of the bullet (around 1200 studs per second). I did make the speed very low to test it, but as I noticed, the trail resets really fast and there’s nothing that I can do about it…
If anyone has an idea please let me know, thanks!

You could shoot out an event when the gun is fired and make the trail visible or make a trail.

Sorry to bump, but have you found a solution to your issue? I’ve got the same problem

Pretty sure with fastcast, if the speed of the bullet is really fast (1200 as stated above), the bullet actually never starts at the muzzle of the gun, but as he said, 50-100 studs in front of the gun.
If you are simply connecting a trail to the actual projectile, I don’t believe you can get around this.

If you aren’t already doing this (but probably are), when visualizing your bullet, try waiting one heartbeat and then checking if the bullet is out of the cache to turn on the bullet trail. So like, bullet is in cache, trail is off. When shot, wait for it to come out of cache, then turn on trail.

Tbh, if it’s that fast, I’d probably implement your own visuals as a “hitscan” raycast instead from the muzzle of the gun to the target.

1 Like

@cooldaniel234 has explained why, but here is a workaround for fastcast, check if its the first frame for the bullet then position it at the startpoint (segment origin), also there is another fix needed for point blank shots to prevent the trail for instantly cleaning up:

1 Like