Bypassing Low-Graphics Particle Limit

• What are you attempting to achieve? (Keep it simple and clear)
    Attempting to create a snowstorm using only particles.
  • What is the issue? (Keep it simple and clear - Include screenshots/videos/GIFs if possible)
    I want to create the concept of an intense snowstorm with just particles, and if your graphics is on 2 then it appears as simply a light snow. If you change it up to 10 it goes to the 500 rate that I have it set at.

vs

• What solutions have you tried so far? (Have you searched for solutions through the Roblox Wiki yet?)
    No solutions seem to work unless you raise graphics.
1 Like

Will 2D screen GUIs work for you? As far as I’m aware, GUI elements aren’t affected by graphics level, and a lot of games do this to simulate rain/snow.

That’s my go-to for right now. I was wondering if anyone maybe had a bypass.

Perhaps a high detailed texture on a transparent part that gives the illusion of blowing snow, coupled with heavy fog?

You’ll want to have multiple snowflakes on the texture and then draw larger particles, so that you need less particles for the same amount of snowflakes on screen. You will have to make a sacrifice in terms of each individual snowflake being in the correctly perceived 3D space that way, but it shouldn’t be too noticeable.

6 Likes

That would probably be way worse for slower computers than particles. :grimacing:

@xEraGamer Just stick with UI. Parts would bring many more issues…

1 Like

This reply suits me best honestly. As as performance goes, I’m closely monitoring it. The game itself is a pretty low performance game so I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

You could use particle:Emit() on a loop, but as expected, it’d probably lag players on low graphics

2 Likes

I know this is a pretty old topic now.
Here is a post I found if you are still looking for a way to bypass it