Cage Mesh Deformer - Studio Beta

What exactly do you mean by vertex editing?

vertex editing is super useful tool when editing meshes or making meshes in studio.

7 Likes

So like Blender’s edit mode. Wouldn’t this be somewhat complex for roblox? Is it actually on their roadmap or a suggestion?

1 Like

Vertex editing isn’t important… Jesus, so many people on this thread just complain about so many unrealistic things that don’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

i just said it for example they still didnt release avatar evolution after 2 years, im not saying its a bad update i was just saying they couldve made better features than cage mesh deformer that doesnt even work on skinned mesh characters.

There’s a bug that crashes studio when putting on layered clothing at the moment : Putting layered clothing on certain packages causes consistent crash

This would be incredibly cool if you had lightsabers in roblox and you could do this to other people

3 Likes

Made a feature request regarding clipping with layered clothing : Layered clothing should support contextual clipping before it launches

6 Likes

Thanks for the detailed feature request. This is a feature we have been actively discussing and debating within the team. We are looking at ways this can be done automatically without requiring manual tagging of the assets/triangles. Will update in the forum once we have a good solution that is not too hard to author.

14 Likes

Thank you for the update! I’m glad it’s being looked into and am looking forward to hearing about what you folks come up with. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Because you can use blender for both of those things.

Do you need to skin the clothing before layering it onto the target? I have a rig with a non-skinned mesh that does not work with this feature. It is only when I skin the clothing does it actually layer on.

1 Like

Well that’ll be so good for dismembered…

What’s Dismembered? Never heard of it.

Like cut body parts or limbs off from the person…

1 Like

This morning at ~9am, we will be enabling a change in skinned MeshParts that is necessary for layered clothing, but could temporarily break some scenes using Cage Mesh Deformer Beta. If you notice any problems please let us know. This is only a temporary limitation, we have a fix for Cage Mesh Deformer Beta that we’ll be rolling out in the next few weeks to resolve this completely. Thanks for your hard work and patience.

– Your Roblox Avatar Engineering Team

3 Likes

Yes, the clothing needs to be skinned.

1 Like

Hi! So I did noticed today that the former SurfaceAppearance on the parts, they now break on models, alongside it now adding a bunch of OriginalSize Vector Values.
Though it seemingly works fine when I remove the SurfaceAppearance.
I didn’t particularly need it (or its added functionality) but noticed it was required for the example for the accessory drag n drop to work with our models.
Will it be needed moving forward or do we need to tweak our meshes for this?
New behavior

Hierarchy
w/o the SurfaceAppearance

1 Like

Is this still broken? Or is it working again?

Yes! It now works with and without SurfaceAppearance.