Camera & Navigation Improvements [Beta]

Okay I can’t take this anymore. I’ve tried reinstalling, closing overlays, closing anything that may cause an overlay, closing and restarting studio, restarting my computer. But it’s been like this for months.

I CAN’T EVEN USE RIGHT CLICK ANYMORE. It jumps around like a mentally insane rabbit and stutters my entire studio. Like 144 fps to 10 fps stutters.

It’s been like this ever since the dumb, stupid (insert more synonyms for the r word here) WIDGET UPDATE. Studio STEALS the focus off any other program when you open it, as far as I know YOU CAN’T DISABLE THAT, and it broke my right click usability. I can’t LOOK AROUND at ALL in studio. Cause otherwise I’m suddenly looking at the sky, 240 degrees left or right, or 180 degrees and looking behind where I want to go.

This is UNBEARABLE cause it just keeps getting worse. Each and every update the stutters are a LITTLE BIT worse. It’s gotten so bad I think I could develop more effectively on Unity if it was on a CALCULATOR.

Sorry forgot to add this, THIS UPDATE MADE IT SO MUCH WORSE. I finally disabled the speed adjustment, but this update takes the cake for making the stuttering the worst. It made the drops so frequent and so bad that I can’t even work on a baseplate.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback – we really appreciate it. We’ve heard your concerns regarding keybinds for changing camera speed.

We’re excited to announce some changes to help everyone take advantage of the Studio camera’s new features.

We’ve added a new Studio setting that allows a few different options for keybinds to activate Camera Speed Customizability.

1. Right Mouse Button (RMB): This is the default beta functionality. RMB + Scroll Wheel allows you to change camera speed up or down.
  2. Alt (Option on Mac Keyboards): With this option selected, Alt + Scroll Wheel will allow you to change the camera speed up or down. RMB + Scroll Wheel will then return to its original function: being able to look around and move at the same time.
  3. None: With this option selected, you will not be able to use the scroll wheel to change speed. All original Alt/RMB behaviors will remain, and the only way to change the camera speed without navigating to Studio settings will be to move the slider under the View Selector.

10 Likes

Gave this a try today and I really like it, but I do have some pain points from the perspective of an old-head dev:

• My muscle memory for camera navigation in studio gave me some grief with the default right click + scroll camera speed bind. Switching to alt + scroll feels a lot less chaotic.

• The camera speed indicator is great but I’d like to be able to type in a value instead of working it with my scroll wheel. It’s especially hard to feel accurate with it on mice with smooth scrolling.

• With an fps unlocker turned on, my pan/turn speed feels noticeably slower unlocked than locked to 60 fps. I’m hitting ~240 fps when unlocked on a 144hz monitor. Dipping under 60 (measured at ~24fps) speeds it up by a lot.

• At 60 fps: I feel like I get a little motion sick with the default settings when focusing objects. I love how smooth the camera feels when focusing on an object, but it immediately contrasts with how twitchy the regular camera movement is, especially when moved via the mouse wheel.

• Adaptive camera speed feels like it should also include the mouse wheel speed. I’ve always treated mouse wheel zooming as an extension of keyboard movement, and only having “half” of the equation adapting to what I’m looking at feels awkward.

If I had a wish list:

• An option to smooth the cameras positional movements out, but keep the rotation snappy. The tweened focus zooms feel really great and having the option for a more freecam (shift + p in game) style smoothed movement in studio would match it perfectly.

• The selection focus system working without a selection. I’d love to be able to point my mouse somewhere and teleport/tween over to that location in the world without selecting something first. Keeping camera.Focus and camera.CFrame relative during the teleport would be bonus points.

• The studio cameras field of view getting a native scroll wheel adjustment bind + UI like camera speed. If ctrl + scroll is a toggle for mouse location movement, alt + scroll an optional bind for zoom speed (a good default IMO), than shift + scroll feels at home for FoV.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.