Can anyone please help me with scripting. I am serious about it

1. **What do you want to achieve?
    I want to achieve enough experience to script a game better than jailbreak

2. What solutions have you tried so far?
    I have looked up articles but for some reason I can’t understand them.

sigh

This is like the fourth topic about this today. Please scroll down the front page for a few seconds.
https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=learn%20scripting

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Feedback Replying to Support

Roblox has a great feature on the wiki that can allow you to search for topics. You can use this to find the other posts people have made about starting scripting. Many of them have good options and feedback, the best and easiest place is the wiki with their tutorials and class lists.

3 Likes

Perhaps you want to watch some video tutorials. There are two people I recommend. They are alvinblox and thedevking, just search them up in Youtube and their channels should appear. They are both great teachers and thedevking even has an advance scripting tutorial and ui tutorial.
There is also a game called Lua Learning on Roblox. A lot of people say it’s good but I haven’t tried it so I don’t know much about it.
Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Ok I will try all the the resources possible and see which one works for me.
Thanks for getting me started.:grinning:

Thanks a lot I loved thedevking I am gonna use his videos and forums as my resource.

Hey there,

I know that you already marked a reply as the solution, but I thought I could offer you with some additional advice. This is just based on my own experiences, since everyone takes their own path when learning how to script, but you may find it helpful.

When I started scripting, I found the Roblox Wiki incredibly helpful. The Wiki looked a little different back then, but I’d still recommend it. They have very simple basic tutorials that walk you through the basics of Roblox Lua (and by extension programming in general). Roblox’s wiki will provide you with simple exercises and challenges like how to use a script to spawn your own part and play with its properties (such as its color, shape, size, etc). Exercises like this teach you the basics of programming and data types.

I strongly recommend that you come up with your own challenges for yourself as you learn. When you learn a new thing, try to think of what you can do with it. When I was getting started and I learned how to use things like “Instance.new("Explosion")” and “Clone()” I used that knowledge to try and create my own “Survive the Disasters” game as a challenge for myself. Trying things out on your own is the best thing you can do if you’re brand new to scripting on Roblox - watching what you create appear on the screen provides you with instant gratification!

I don’t highly recommend Roblox YouTube tutorial videos since they often focus more on how to create a specific thing using one specific method rather than focusing on giving you a basic understanding of programming in general, but if you do want to use them, I recommend watching videos from reputable users such as Crazyman32 or Roblox’s official tutorials by stickmasterluke.

Once you’re more familiar with programming in Roblox and you have an understanding of what the various data types are, what functions and variables are, etc., I recommend learning more about Computer Science as a study. When I was in high school, I had the opportunity to take a few classes about programming in Java and the skills I learned were transferable to Roblox Lua. Not every school will offer programming classes, so you may not have the same opportunities in-person, in which case I would recommend you self-study. It’s easy to find a free PDF of the book “Programming in Lua volume 4” which may help you learn a lot about the Lua language, but I would not recommend you read it until you’re more familiar with programming since it’s not meant for absolute beginners.

I hope this helps!

5 Likes

Well if the wiki is bad why try it?

I love your solution of trying everything and experimenting I will work with this too.

2 Likes