Can Insertservice stop people from stealing assets?

I am genuinly just curious if using insertservice can stop people from stealing assets?

InsertService only allows players with access to the asset to insert it.

But what if I make a model of lets say my gun, and inserted it when a player gets a gun?

I haven’t used InsertService yet but I think that should be okay since your still the one inserting it based on what Dev Handbook says.

Why would you do this? Just place the model number n your game and move it to the players inventory as needed. And anything in your game (building wise) is at risk of being stolen, nothing can be 100% safe as it’s all replicated to the client.

Edit: I mean I see why, but I don’t think it would really stop any stealing.

Just trying to prevent exploiters from stealing models but if nothing can stop it its out of my hands

Whatever is on the client can be accessed potentially by exploiters. We can assume that models and local scripts can be stolen. Server scripts and anything that is in server storage is safe. Once it gets copied to the client like if loading a map then it could be stolen.

finding cansteal property inside insertservice in devhub

InsertService only allows people to insert assets into their game, not to prevent people from stealing assets.

Although for example if that asset is being inserted from a game that’s not created by the group/creator then they won’t be able to insert it (expect for assets created by roblox).

Also I might be wrong but exploiters don’t steal assets through InsertService.

1 Like

Also module scripts, can’t forget those.

Only if they are on the client. Module scripts would be safe on the server. Sorry if you already know this and I’m overexplaining, I just don’t want any misconceptions.

1 Like

Nah you’re fine. It’s better to explicitly provide the information than have it become a problem in the future.

If you insert something in any way into your game, it’s prone that your game’s assets are going to be stolen. Exploits allow the user to view anything inside of your game.

That aside people can get in trouble from stealing assets with exploits. There are ways to report the user, but it isn’t going to help you out in your situation as once something’s stolen on the internet you can’t stop the person from just reuploading your stolen content.

If something is visible to the client, then it can be stolen. An exploiter could just wait for the model to appear in the workspace before downloading.

I think module scripts code is sent to the client even if it’s in a server container. I don’t know for sure though, i’ve found multiple conflicting opinions on this.

not sure…

When a player has the data of a model, asset etc. (either through insert service or being in the game from the start) that player can steal that data and convert it into a file. It’s like visiting a website, you have the raw html and you can save it as a file along with the client scripts of that website.

All players need the data of assets so that they can be rendered and used on the client. There’s no way around this.

Relevant Resource:

1 Like