Can you give some feedback to novice developers?

Both! You can build a game from scratch while using open source resources.

2 Likes

Please have a general idea & framework of your game before you actually start developing, this’ll probably be the most useful piece of information among team/co-op developers. Even solo developers.

3 Likes

You are not building a game from scratch if you are using premade materials.

3 Likes

Yup! If you really want to make a game from scratch, you may as well recreate roblox’s camera system, client-server communcation, character loading, render engine, etc.

2 Likes

I was specifically talking about public resources on roblox but yeah

2 Likes

My gosh ,you are so correct,we team are in situation, less efficient and slower,I will try to change that

1 Like

That is so much work to do,and sometimes i really want to find useful resources,but i cant make the most of the tool box

1 Like

But how to find fit premade materials is difficult in much time

1 Like

#resources #resources:community-resources

1 Like

Yes,the idea and framework is really important.Do you have any good suggestions? Sometimes it’s really difficult to start without a reference.

1 Like

You may also search on Youtube or anywhere in the internet for any open-source material. The toolbox does not provide that many good scripts/resources. Also make sure to investigate them for any viruses.

1 Like

Thanks ,I 'll search more resources on Youtube and in the internet.

2 Likes
1 Like

You should only ever use existing resources if either your entire team won’t ever figure out how to make it, or you are on rush schedule to hand in work for client.

A strong developer will only exist if you are being capable of making more and more of everything by yourself, granted there are limitations and limited time, but you as an individual won’t grow fast enough if you over-reply on existing resources, and having stronger growing members in a team contribute to a total growth and potential of taking on even greater project.

But that is heavily a biased view you can say, it is my personal view that enabled me to become a developer capable of advanced modelling, building, visuals beside just programming or developing.
I rarely actually see people successfully going through all that by themselves, so I end up alone now using only AIs as helpers.

Knit is a real good framework that I have experienced in various projects to bring up quite nice quality game within shorter amount of time.

It is also a real great starter for you or Developers to get onboard on how project frameworks should work as a base, there are basic logical flows and how things should be handled that you can take note from Knit beside just using it in a project to help coordinate your team and coordinate the project’s development.

[Note] Knit is not completely perfect, I had developers in group to move onto something else that is like an upgrade version of Knit. But it is not too hard to understand and work with, and it does help greatly on onboarding.

[Disclaimer] Your developers can still make mistake and cause laggy/buggy performances in your game even if you use Knit, it is not fool-proof on that. You need to have at least a senior/sharp Developer leader to manage these instead.

I don’t have any, but I have One pro tip I would give to some novice developers:

“Don’t learn off YouTube, trust me, I learnt nothing from YouTube, but when I used devforum as a developing source, it sped up my learning and development. It’s like I learnt 75x faster than youtube”

Yes, I usually watched youtube tutorial video in the past,But i learnt little expeirence

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I am looking for