Can you turn smooth terrain into a model?

Hi, I’m currently making a map for a game. The owner gets the map by buying it as a model in the library so it needs to be all together. I added some smooth terrain in it forgetting that you can’t group it with the rest of the map. Is there any way to be able to do that or do I have to redo it some other way? I’ve also looked for some plugin but I can’t find any which help.
Thanks

1 Like

I think that you might be able to export it into Blender and use it as 1 mesh, then import it to Roblox Studio and perhaps group it into the model that you want to give the person. I’m not entirely sure if it will work, but I think you export it by exporting it as if it was a part, by righting clicking and looking for the “Export Selection” button.
Once again, not sure if it will work, but I think it’s worth a try.

Kind regards,
Quantum_Rio

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve exported it to Blender but do you know how to make it into a mesh and then export it back into studio? This is my first time using blender and its pretty complicated lol.

1 Like

So when you have exported in, you then you go to “File” and click “Import” and then the file type, presumably OBJ. After this, you would do the same, but click “Export” so if it isn’t over the triangle limit, which I think is 10,000 triangles, you can import the terrain back with a meshpart. Tell me if you need anything else! :wink:

I’ve tried to export it back but I’m not sure which file type to choose. Studio says it should be either .rbxm or .rbxmx and neither of which show up when trying to export from blender. Also does ‘tris’ stand for the amount of triangles?

1 Like

Yes, the ‘tris’ means triangles, but you should be able to import it back in using one of these, excluding the one in the middle.

Ah ok. My triangles were at 21000 so I’ve cut it down a bit. I’ve saved it as that file type but it doesn’t show up in studio. I’ve clicked workspace and then insert from file but it doesn’t appear. Is that how you import stuff again or am I completely wrong lol? . Sorry about all these questions, they’re probably really simple.

Don’t worry, I’m just as confused on this topic as many people, but I’ll show you how you can do this. :)

1. Insert a Meshpart into Workspace.
  2. In the properties of this meshpart, and you will see “MeshId”. Click the icon next to it.
  3. Click this icon and you should be taken to your file explorer. Find where you saved the mesh to, and open it. This should import it to roblox studio. You should also have a texture from importing it, (I think atleast, haha), and there should be a “TextureID” beneath it, where you can import the texture files.

Hope this helps,
Quantum_Rio

Thanks, I managed to get it into studio now. However all the rescaling and textures doesn’t really give it the look I was trying to replicate. I really appreciate your help and you taught me a thing or two about importing/exporting.

1 Like

Oh, well I’m sorry about the texturing, but I’m happy to help with the other aspects! I think that I’ve also found a post which could help you with the texturing too, so here it is! :)

Kind regards,
Quantum_Rio

1 Like

Currently, no. Terrain is an independent object that cannot be grouped, and turning that terrain into a MeshPart would have a lot of performance issues, lack textures, and would take a while to work out.

Instead, just send your commissioner the place file, either via the dev forums through DMs, discord, emailing it to them, or hundreds of other options.

Is there a reason they can’t do any of that?

1 Like

My tutorial could be a fix for this but be careful, if you export it as one mesh then you can only apply one texture to it. So if you have different types of terrain, you should export it in pieces. Plus there is also a 10k triangle limit on mesh import so make sure that the terrain parts aren’t too big or too complex shapes.

1 Like