Can't play sounds in the rep storage from the server script service

Hi everyone

I currently have a problem
I need to play a sound that is in the Replicated storage from a script in the ServerScriptService

I don’t know why but when I want to do :Play() to play the sound that is in replicated storage it doesn’t work, when I place the sound in Workspace or move the script it works

so I wonder, can’t we play sound from the ServerScriptService when the sound is in the RepStorage ? I have trouble understanding why

any ideas? ^^

I’ve never tried it, but I’m assuming sounds won’t play in ReplicatedStorage. That isn’t its intended purpose as it’s more of a client accessible storage container.

I mainly use RepStorage for client sounds, but I think that for server sounds the Workspace is the only option that works pretty much, at least from what I know.

From the Replicated Storage wiki:
"For objects that only the server requires access to, we recommended you use ServerStorage to minimize network traffic."

I’m not sure the exact problem why the sound won’t play in ReplicatedStorage, but for server sided scripts you should avoid using ReplicatedStorage if possible. For a sound specifically, SoundService would be the better option.

1 Like

Related (but potentially far out of date):

The gist of it is: I don’t recommend you to play sounds directly from ReplicatedStorage. I often store my sounds in SoundService instead. Sometimes it may be in PlayerScripts or PlayerGui as well.

1 Like

I’m gonna go like this

But it’s Soundscape, isn’t it? Because I don’t have Sound Service.