CanvasGroup Beta: Group Transparency on UI Groups

is it just me, does the medium quality look better than the High quality Xd?

1 Like

This is honestly a really awesome update. I canā€™t wait to script UI with this feature.

1 Like

cool, but you can already use clipsdescendants, good update nonethless

2 Likes

For anyone wondering, this is the case! You will need to have a UI element constantly moving in order to update the group every frame however. For example, I just have an invisible text label constantly rotating to keep the CanvasGroup updatedā€¦

Now is this how to think that we are doing to work you are you gui
We know that so yeah doing some stuff because we will do some design like

My old scripts required me to individually set their respective transparencies. This quickly became hard as they were different types of classes, such as UIStroke, TextButton, Frame & so on.

This update is exactly what I needed, I canā€™t wait until it goes live in games. Is there any roadmap estimate? As always amazingly done and thank you.

The Canvas doesnā€™t just blur images it blurs TextLabels as well.

Also it having clip-descendants on by default is kind of annoying, I was really hoping this would simply act as a Frame Object but with the group properties.

I understand the caching system is setup that way but the vast majority if not everyone prefers to use just one ScreenGui for the majority of the user interface.

6 Likes

This is by far one of the greatest UI updates to Roblox!

Is there a time frame on when itā€™s expected to be out of beta as Iā€™d love to start using this in my games.

Awesome work though to all the engineers who worked on this!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for something like this for a while. Nice job!

This is great!
This will make animating certain UI much easier.

You mentioned that there are different qualities of the canvas group depending on the deviceā€™s available memory, could we have an read-only property which tells us the current quality of the CanvasGroupā€¦

For example, you could make an property called ā€œCurrentQualityā€, you could also add ā€œEnum.CanvasGroupQualityā€ with the following Enum Items:

• High
  • Medium
  • Low
  • None or Blank

Also, is there an possibility for an property which would set a limit on how low the quality could go, you could call it something like ā€œQualityPriorityā€.

For example, I might want to set an important Pop-up to the highest priority (I donā€™t want it to lose quality) while I might want a UI of some on screen detail to be set to the lowest priority (It can lose quality, I donā€™t care.)

10 Likes

What we are thinking about that gui I will know that how that to work
But I need who help someone that

Why is it take so long to make an update like this? I write an very long script for that thing :frowning:

I sent an interface Iā€™m having the issues with via DM. Please let me know if I can provide any extra information. :slight_smile:

Additionally, Iā€™d find a public resource / PSA about the best practices for interfaces performance-wise to be very useful and interesting. Even if it makes it so much easier to just insert UIPadding & list layouts consistently instead of subtracting size on the object or placing stuff manually, I do worry I overdo it a bit and it may be causing some extra work internally. :sweat_smile:

Iā€™m very glad about this, I used to spend so long defining variables to change transparencies

It is definitely one of the more anticipated updates in my opinion. Iā€™m glad itā€™s here, but it has also became extremely difficult to implement since I use global zindex behavior for every UI object (itā€™s more convenient) and currently Iā€™ve got 3110 UIs that would need adjusting. I strongly request global zIndex behavior support for a CanvasGroup and maybe make CanvasGroup descendants to be forced to render first or throw a warning if zindex is lower, just donā€™t deprive us of a common zindex behavior

3 Likes

That we need to make a design gui what we are thinking about this look

I could see a lot of existing (and new) games updating to use this. I hope we can get some more UI additions/improvements soon.

This beta has been my UI Design dream! I can finally make the animations that iā€™ve been wanting to make forever! Iā€™ve already started rewriting my gameā€™s title screen to utilize this.

There is one bug I found with this: if you have a TextBox with a UICorner on it inside of a CanvasGroup, when you try to type inside it, it crashes

3 Likes

I know its a bit earlyā€¦ but do we have an ETA on when this will be fully released? :heart_eyes:

This feature is a life saver, needing to loop through a frame and tween all of itā€™s childrens transparency was/is such a pain.

On lower resolutions it does seem to be quite blurry and fuzzy, as stated by other developers in the thread.

Other than that, thanks for this update pretty cool

1 Like

whats the difference between frame and canvas group?
other than besides the new cool transparency feature