Change the accessory limit to a hard limit of 10

The accessories update have destroyed alot of people’s avatars.

Why does ROBLOX decide what items conflict and what look alright? It should be left to the person customizing the avatar to decide if something doesn’t look right when matched with another accessory.

Also if this happens, you should probably add an “All” section.

26 Likes

This. It’s all well and good for ROBLOX to decide that they don’t like their users looking tacky and horrible, but this is a UGC site and if someone likes the way their avatar looks, they shouldn’t be responsible for changing it.

Either change it back to a hard cap of three, or change it to a cap of 10.

Or, y’know, just tell us our concerns have been taken into account like the web team always does. smh

9 Likes

It’s been mentioned in another thread that the limit on accessories is to make sure too many assets are not being uploaded to a game; however, I do think the mistake was limiting 1 accessory PER accessory category. Set a hard limit of the current maximum (10, thanks @dekkonot ) but allow us to choose any accessory we wish.

3 Likes

It’s currently a total limit of 10 (1 per every category + 2 extra hats). The idea here is to change it to be a limit of 10 in total as opposed to 1 per category.

4 Likes

I feel like wearing 10 hats would be bad though. Not bad in any causes-errors sort of way, but bad in a doesn’t-look-good sort of way. I don’t think ROBLOX would support that look.

What about a limit of 10 total, but also with a limit of 3 per category?

2 Likes

Multiple staff members have clarified that the deciding factor was hat clipping. There is a limit on accessory categories to prevent the #accessories worn by characters from becoming too large, but the limit of one per category was never designed for performance reasons – it was to prevent hat clipping. For instance, users wearing 2 sunglasses at the same time.

I think we’ve all seen how the current implementation has failed to be a good one – apparently the staff are still discussing what to do, but what’s clear is that the design needs to change. What we have now is not scalable to allow enough categories needed to make it work. And even if it was, the reason players clip accessories is because there are not enough customization options on ROBLOX, and taking that away makes it even worse. While it may cause characters to look less weird, it introduces an even bigger problem. I hope that if ROBLOX is unable to find a good middleground, they recognize that they are re-making the mistake of forcing user behavior that has time and time again earned them the disdain of the community and move to a hard cap, without per-category limits.

1 Like

if i want to wear three different glasses and seven different hairs i should be able to express myself. if i can “be anything” then i want to have relatively unrestricted limits on what i can wear.

10 overall or 3 + 1 per category is still 10.

7 Likes

While hat clipping will always be a problem (realistically you can’t get rid of it and allow a lot of freedom to customize at the same time) I think that once roblox allows people to sell UGC hats we may see a lot more “packs” of items. Bascially a bunch of items that are meant to go together or fit well together and I believe this could help alleviate this problem at least somewhat. We may also see items (I’m specifically thinking of hair in this case) that are designed to go under another hat. (e.g. long hair that has no top or at least a very thin top so that it won’t clip through the top of hats but you still get the long hair underneath)

2 Likes

Why not have a hard limit of 10, but everytime you design your avatar, it has to be approved by Asset Moderators who studied Fashion?

#crazySolutions

4 Likes

I think that eventually there will come a point at which Roblox wants to get rid of all ugly hat clipping, and this will not be possible unless there are some major restrictions… Or maybe, major creative freedom? When I think about this, I look at two popular and somewhat successful avatar setups in other platforms. Xbox has avatar customization, and for the most part it’s pretty neat, people love dressing up their avatars with each accessory, but you can only have one of each… Then on the other hand, there are the Little Big Planet games, in which players have complete power over how their characters look, plastering any custom image, resizing, rotating and positioning any add-on onto their person and combining it all with a wide variety of hats and packages any which way they want, which can ultimately look super wacky and crazy, but surprisingly, most users manage to keep their outfits looking nice, it’s like an art that users in the game fine tune to create a nice custom outfit.
With Xbox Avatars there is probably 0% of players with clipping accessories

With Little Big Planet, there is probably around 50% of avatars with clipping accessories, the 50% that don’t clip are the players with proper artistic taste and care for their unique custom outfit

As for Roblox though, I’d guess 80% of anyone who wears two or more hats has some degree of unpleasant clipping

This problem might be near impossible to fix without changing the way Roblox accessories work completely, or maybe it’s our unique staple, the Roblox look. Or maybe if we just had some very small amount of space to slightly resize, slightly rotate, and slightly re-position accessories, players could be given the opportunity to make their avatars look much nicer. I’m not really sure that would work, but it’s a thought. Anyways, I don’t think we will always be happy with the way Roblox handles things, but as we progress, Roblox will change and re-change and evolve until bad things are slowly pushed out of the picture, we just have to give it time.

2 Likes