Changes to Bones and Constraints

That had no effect. In the above example, I have an attachment on the wooden stake, and a hinge constraint with attachments set to that attachment and one of the bones (shoulder). The stake still doesn’t follow the animation. Is this something that will only work in-game and not in Studio in animation editor?

2 Likes

ah that may be the problem, since the Animation Editor will not run simulation. I’ll look into it, might be able to get it to update correctly in the Editor too.

2 Likes

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but are there any future plans to allow bones to scale with a mesh when it is scaled in code? I know the studio scale tool does this, just wondering if it will ever be added to code?

2 Likes

This is cool, I do have a concern with mesh deformation though. Lets say I have a Dragon, and its DeathAnimation is playing; If i tween its transparency the dragon begins to have a sort of seizure and it just looks like a mess, will this be fixed soon?

1 Like

Could it be possible for animations update the WorldPosition and WorldOrientation properties of bones? Constraints are useful and all but when working with different scaled accessories, it is hard for the constraint to attach correctly. If there was some way to read those updated values, it would be a life saver.

1 Like

I really like this upcoming change, and it was about time too. Really helpful!

Although problems started to occur on my end ever since this update was pushed out. I believe all of my rigs stopped working properly. Since I don’t see the problem in known issues, I will include the footage below.

Bug: Bones and bone hierarchies not updating even though their CFrame has been changed

The bone named “root”, which is the parent of all bones, is supposed to move every body part of the rig along with itself, though that is not happening due to this strange bug.

This rig was working before the update, in addition, the problem persists when I re-import the rig, try it on a different place, or on a different studio instance. This isn’t a weight issue either.

Also happens in-game as well.

Loving the effort being put into this feature. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I also have this problem while trying to move the first bone in a rig. While the position property updates, the bone is still visually at its original place.

2 Likes

Is there a reason why constraints might operate differently in Roblox and Studio? I am using rope constraints to pull a cart behind a skinned mesh horse with physics. Even before this update, it worked, because I don’t really care about following bones, just pulling a cart. I attach the ropes to the mesh.

In studio, the only issue is the constraint interrupts the skinned mesh animation, causing it to restart (why would the game engine forget what frame I’m on??) . In Roblox, there is the added bonus of dragging the horse to the side, and other breakage.

Either way, this change has not fixed the stuttering yet (not to be confused with “flickering” when the model returned to its starting pose, which is currently fixed on both Studio and PC, but not Android).

I will look through this carefully. Maybe there are different ways to rig the constraint now that work better in my game.

2 Likes

Oh boy, here comes rigid-body hair simulation. One step closer, or easier. (Since, it was already possible before. With difficulty)

1 Like

The problem where the Tool.Equipped function doesn’t work with custom characters even with the RequiresHandle is set to false will be fixed on the next update?
(Just made a post about it on scripting support and I noticed someone reported the exact same thing on bug reports in may-april)

1 Like

hurry please!
I cant wait this!

1 Like

We think we’ve fixed the remaining issues with incorrect bone TransformedCFrame values rescaling skinned meshes. Let me know if you run into issues still!

2 Likes

is there a possibility for motor 6d be able to weld with bones?
that way we will be able to animate handle of tools

1 Like

I found a serious bug in mobile environment.
In the moment when deleting the skin mesh, with the distal joint has not been deleted, to get TransformedCFrame of this distal bone, will cause serious crash.
This situation usually occurs when getting TransformedCFrame on running stepped.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.