Changes to Part Surfaces

Constraints are much better than surface types ever will be.

I’d suggest using the search tool first:

1 Like

If I have a ‘old’ game that relies deeply on SurfaceTypes, I’m getting the idea that it will not be impacted. What if I wanted to add an update to that game? Will I have to find some other way using constraints?

2 Likes

I couldn’t help but notice that this change been hasn’t been reissued for a while.

If I understand correctly, one change is that workspace:JoinToOutsiders("Surface") acts like workspace:JoinToOutsiders("All"), where it joins blocks without regard to surface types.

And then the change was reverted because many games had characters and things randomly welded to the ground.

Was there a change to an underlying surface system that caused other builtin systems to randomly weld stuff?

I also have another question: Even if all the Studio tools pertaining to legacy joints are removed, won’t it confuse new developers more if they see something using legacy surfaces and have hardly any means of experimenting and learning about it in Studio? For example, there are numerous MakeJoints and BreakJoints calls in toolbox scripts.

2 Likes

What does this mean? Does this mean like studs will be removed, but Hinges and Motors will stay?

3 Likes