Changes to Sibling Instance Ordering Sent at Game Load

Hi AbstractAlex,

For now, we’ve halted rollout of this change. When we do re-enable this change on Studio, we plan on giving developers at least 3 weeks before enabling the features globally.

Before we enable the feature globally, we will give you guys a warning (either by updating this thread or making a new post) a week in advance. If we find that developers seem to need more time, we may push the date back then.

We want to avoid breaking any games if possible, so please make sure to communicate with us when the time comes, especially if you feel you need a bit more time!

3 Likes

Hi Devs,

Previously, @litozinnamon and @centraltrains mentioned that this change is negatively impacting UI’s. We’ve since identified the bug, released a fix, and done QA testing with the fix to verify that the issues with GUIs reported last time no longer occur.

Now that we’ve got this resolved, we will be re-enabling this change on Studio ONLY on March 29, 2021 . We will wait AT LEAST 3 weeks after March 29 before enabling this change across all games on production. If any of you feel you need more time as the deadline approaches, please let us know, and we can discuss potentially pushing back the production release date.

We will be updating this thread in advance before we enable the change across production games to give you guys a chance to ask for more time should you need it, so please keep an eye out for updates!

Thank you guys for your patience!

6 Likes

Hi Devs,

It’s been a little bit over 2 weeks since we enabled this change on Studio ONLY on March 29, 2021 . If you guys are ready, we would like to enable this globally on production next week, on April 22, 2021 , so we can unlock some more join time improvements! Please let us know in this thread if you guys need some more time to modify your games to accommodate the changes to sibling order.

A reminder: some Devs were concerned that usernames could match the names of statically created Instances in their game and mess with calls like FindFirstChild in LocalScripts if the player’s Avatar gets parented before the statically created Instance (see: Changes to Sibling Instance Ordering Sent at Game Load - #13 by ForbiddenJ). We have already released a fix that will force the Client to parent players’ character models AFTER the Client parents all other instances it receives when joining to the DataModel first. If you suspect that unlucky usernames or bad actors can still interfere with your game via this exploit, PLEASE LET US KNOW and we will investigate.

Again, we don’t want this change to negatively impact any games - please let us know if you guys need more time to accommodate this change!!

5 Likes

Hi Devs,

As a reminder, we are planning on turning this feature on globally on production tomorrow, April 22, 2021. Please comment on this post or message me if you think you need more time to accommodate the changes to Sibling order!

Hey there @asdfiji123!

I was wondering if I can workaround this behavior by waiting until the game has loaded and then start replication or does it always happen?

I have a game that loads in a map every round and I’d like the Floor to replicate first before any else to prevent players falling into the abyss of death.

So my question is how do I FORCE certain items to replicate before others?

My game has been negatively affected by this change due to how items are replicate and aren’t displayed in an order they were added as a child / descendant.

1 Like

Hi @RuizuKun_Dev,

I sent you a DM so we can talk about your specific place and diagnose the issue together!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.