Changes We’re Making as The Digital Services Act (DSA) Takes Effect

Why not just implement these changes across the board? You’ve already had to build out the tech for the changes to moderation, so why not expand it to all users?

5 Likes

I think this should be emphasized for all the people who don’t have the attention span to read the whole announcement, and elaborated on. These are the same measures offered to EU as described in this announcement, correct? Specifically just for the transparency offerings.

6 Likes

The fact they isolated it from the rest of the points made me think that the measures introduced to the rest of the world wouldn’t be as extensive as the ones in the EU

They did update it to add a point that wasn’t there before as well:

– although, the term “generally” doesn’t describe every point, so I’d say it’s hard to say whether the “increased transparency” is to the full extent of the increased transparency offered in the EU, or just increased from how it was previously.

10 Likes

soooo why are the increased moderation transparency and appeal changes not being made for everyone instead of only European developers? Moderation transparency should be expected from companies, not just given because some law somewhere requires it…

Nevermind post was edited to confirm this is for everybody.

3 Likes

This is wonderful, as I’m currently dealing with some issue and the issue’s been ignored for over a week now, after talking to the roblox team. can’t wait to see this taking effect and being able to soon solve the issue! I love updates like this

2 Likes

I don’t like the fact that Roblox only makes improvements to moderation, and transparency just for the sake of complying with new EU law. This change should’ve happened long time before EU made the changes. But past can’t be changed, so at least would be nice to roll out all the changes, not just selected few, globally to every user regardless of their region.

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into expanding this to other regions as well!

RE: above, like GDPR request handling, some of this stuff is probably fairly operationally expensive and that’s why only offered to EU for the time being

I suggest you use your voting power to push for non-shoddy privacy laws in whatever country you’re living in.

20 Likes

There is no logical reason why this shouldn’t be a universal thing, for everyone.

3 Likes

I see, and I hope that’s the case. It would be great if Roblox mentioned that, and explained a little bit more in-depth the matter at hand.

Unfortunately it’s not as easy as it sounds, but I definitely would love to contribute to such process myself as soon as it is feasible for me.

Making legal changes is complicated, and tedious process, which many do not understand like myself. I never been taught, nor I currently have time to devote to initiate a process in which bill is considered for it to be made into a law. Therefore, I choose to pressure and criticize Roblox for the actions, and hope that maybe they will take the matter into consideration.

As for me personally, I am citizen of one of the countries in EU, but I’ve been forced by my parents to live in US, and currently I do not possess US citizenship thus making me ineligible to vote, although I’m currently in the process of saving up and gathering resources necessary to apply for one. Additionally, I currently do not have the money that it takes to move back to EU.

6 Likes

W update for European players. 6 months of appeal? Bro everyone needs this lol. Hopefully sleepy joe does the same

2 Likes

Why is this only for EU users, and not for all users? I understand that this had to happen because of the DSA, but this would actually be beneficial for all users, and not just those in the EU.

Right, there’s no bill that is related to this ongoing for senate or representative.

1 Like

These should be available to everyone globally, not just EU residents. Roblox is better off when its developers are better off!

6 Likes

Why on Earth are you purposely trying to make moderation as bad as possible without breaking laws?

There is absolutely zero reason why only Europe has better moderation and not everyone in the world.

6 Likes

Finally, Roblox pays some attention to transparency and accountability on moderation decisions… and it’s because they were forced to by a government… and (from the looks of it) it’ll only be available in said jurisdiction. Classy.

2 Likes

It is sad that Roblox have to be forced by law to add such common and important feature into the platform, instead of taking their responsibilities by adding these by themself and make it available worldwide like litteraly any other company does.

Anyway, i think it isn’t going to change anything about false terminations by bot and unban requests, because as it is written in the TOS, Roblox own the right to ban their users without specific reason… Roblox still is an unsafe platform for all user that enjoy playing games, and even more unsafe for all developers that aim to become profesionnal and live from their games.

5 Likes

Only doing the bare minimum and essentially telling anyone that isn’t in the EU to get stuffed about moderation reasons and appeals is just a big yikes. We shouldn’t have be at the mercy of a black box moderation system.

5 Likes

It’s not only in Europe, as stated in the end of the post.

4 Likes

It will be rolled out to everyone

4 Likes

This is a common sense policy that should be implemented globally, not just when regulators force it.

2 Likes