Changing the Behavior of Welds to Anchored Parts

Fixed. It’s not in the dictionary so it’s always flagged as misspelled, spelled correctly or not, and I made the mistake of not adding it to my personal dictionary.

5 Likes

This is so much more intuitive than the old behavior! Great work.

2 Likes

I was one having to use motor6d’s for certain situations, so glad I will be able to simply use welds.

4 Likes

Bumping this post as a reminder that we’ll be enabling this change this upcoming Monday morning (PST)!

I’ll update here again when that happens. I don’t expect many issues, but might watch for anything welded to an anchored object being out of place in your games after.

2 Likes

Has it not already happened? I had to fix an issue to do this with today because the behaviour changed yesterday.

1 Like

We enabled some related changes to the default behavior of JointInstance joints and part propery setters on Monday this week.

Your issues were probably related to that. See here:

These changes to how parts connected to anchored objects behave are seperate though.

3 Likes

This change is queued for release sometime this morning.

4 Likes

This change was enabled on January 14th at 10:37 AM (PST).

Reply here if you spot any issues!

1 Like

Some of the elevators I use use the old behavior and I am not sure how to fix it. I am just now noticing this with this new change.

1 Like

Try replacing your welds that are used this way with WeldConstraints.

Since WeldConstraints just lock in the current relative orientation of the parts when they are enabled it’s a little closer to the old behavior that just locked parts in their previous position, with the added benefit that WeldConstraints will replicate consistently.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for your quick reply. I will try this tomorrow at some point and see what happens.

1 Like

It appears this change broke a couple of morphing scripts

(taken by a friend)

Changed weld to constraint instead but didn’t do much of any improvement. Any help?

3 Likes

teleporting people via changing their humanoidrootpart cframe while they are sitting now moves the seat instead of breaking the weld and teleporting them

2 Likes

I am also experiencing some issues with my morphing system. Same issue as to what @LordMerc is facing.

1 Like

@LordMerc @Jamie_Jr Does this system involve anchoring parts at any point? If not it’s more likely related to:

2 Likes

It just unanchors the parts actually after connecting the welds. I’ve also tried all 3 Jointsmode and still same result. This also just started happening as soon as this change went live.

1 Like

Here is also another example picture.

1 Like

Am having similar issues as @rachjumper. In my game, players can place a seat down which gets welded to part of the map. It now seems that if the player finds a way to have their HumanoidRootPart’s cframe changed while sitting in a seat, the cframe of the seat and the cframe of the map underneath the seat will also be changed. This is causing a lot of problems in my game:

Why does changing the cframe of an unanchored part welded to an anchored part also move the anchored part? Is this intended? Is there a different type of weld that won’t move an anchored part if it’s welded unanchored part does move?

1 Like

I managed to fix his issue and my friends morph issue with a re-write of the welding.

2 Likes

Putting a repo here actually in hopes of maybe the error showing itself(excuse the ugly code, its been used since 2013)

Code forcing the issue

https://pastebin.com/BRL79Tem

Code that works

https://pastebin.com/jJW66xsu

Hopefully the code is easy to follow and may point out what’s breaking it.

1 Like