Character disappearing with certain skinned meshes when a specific part is 100% Transparent

This is an unusual bug we encountered in Crown Academy while we were trying to add a new item to the game. Despite not skinning these meshes, some of them had their HasSkinnedMesh flag set to true.

Whenever the RightUpperLeg of this character has its Transparency set to 1, the entire character stops rendering for some inexplicable reason.

We’re able to temporarily work around this bug if we use a Transparency of 0.9999 instead of 1 in this edge case, but its still extremely weird and it had one of my co-workers baffled while we were on vacation as to what was causing it.

I can provide a repro of this character privately on request. We don’t want to give any clues to our competition of how our character customization works.

(cc @RobieTheCat @AllYourBlox)

14 Likes

Thanks for posting.

It’s a known issue that if a Model is made up of mixed skinned and non-skinned Parts, then hiding all the skinned Parts will make all the Parts disappear. It should be fixed in the next update - hopefully tomorrow.

“Despite not skinning these meshes, some of them had their HasSkinnedMesh flag set to true.”
How are you seeing this? I thought the flag was internal and hidden. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s a Lua property that is readable but not writable.
The API Dump still logs it accordingly.

Property bool MeshPart.HasSkinnedMesh {✏️NotAccessibleSecurity} [Hidden]

Happens also on my Gun System since arms must be non transparent until first person, and it glitchs out all the character

@varjoy, Should be fixed very soon.

3 Likes

@Maximum_ADHD - Any ideas how/why these Parts would have the flag set. At one point were they skinned meshes, and the meshId changed?

2 Likes

They may have been skinned by accident with a vertex group or something? I’m not sure. As far as we’re aware we did not upload the models with skinning intended, so it’s odd that those flags were set. Is it setting that flag if the mesh format is v4 or if we used the avatar importer to upload it?

I was wondering why this was happening! Glad to hear its getting fixed soon. I thought I was the only one having this issue.

It should only be setting the flag if it sees joints with the mesh, and it should only be storing joints if there is skin attached. Let me know if you see that flag set when there is no skinned mesh - that’s a bug.

The fix for all the Parts disappearing should now be live.

5 Likes

The issue is starting to show up again with the latest update.
The character will disappear when:

• Skinned mesh is removed from the character
  • Skinned mesh’s parent is moved away from the character
  • Skinned mesh’s transparency is set to 1
  • Skinned mesh’s Motor6D is unattached from the character’s torso
4 Likes

I am also still experiencing this issue;
https://gyazo.com/e28e815caa6c6951a782400178545156

I’ve noticed it only happens when there’s a humanoid in the model.

@RobieTheCat, could you assist us with this? You know the best, considering you were introduced to this problem before.

Can we get more help on this? It’d be appreciated.

Yeah I’d like to echo this too; it is still happening for us to some extent and we can’t add mesh deforming characters to our game until this is fixed.

3 Likes

The issue still persists.
@Maximum_ADHD Maybe it’s cause your thread has had a solution ticked before, perhaps make a new post?

I’m not observing it anymore. You should maybe provide a repro and make a new bug report? Otherwise there isn’t much they can do from us just saying that it’s still happening.