Clarification on Xbox Rules

I am currently developing a game. And I want to have an ingame context menu for communication. This would be like “over here”, “help needed” etc. According to xbox restrictions there should be

No in-game messaging (text chat)

but this is predefined and is not a text chat.
This part is quite important as you would need some form of communication in the game.

I would prefer to have my solution (the context menu) approved by a member of dev rel or a trusted member.

Thanks, BBTF!

Essentially, what its saying is if you create your own custom chat the Xbox players should not be able to use it. It is pointing to what we refer to as “Bubble Chat” - they should not be able to bubble chat (although they are capable of seeing it). This is because Xbox players have microphones, their own chat service and Roblox is not owned by Microsoft so they’ve got guidelines of what is ok and what is not: for example online dating is not allowed on Roblox but your free to do that on the Xbox platform, as such players have a different background.

A context menu is perfectly fine, providing as I said its not a chat system they can use. It is giving context to actions which is useful and its system controlled. Essentially although you could complain its “in-game messaging” under the umbrella term I guess it should be made clear this applies only to player-to-player chat and not things like context based system messages.

2 Likes

Yes. I understand that they should not be able to use a “text chat”. And as I said in my initial post, it does say
“No in-game messaging text chat” so it should be fine. But I’ll wait for a dev rel member, staff or high ranking member. Thanks

Its very unlikely they’ll see this thread and respond.

It is inherently very clear they are referring to player-to-player chat here:

In which text chat is placed in brackets to specify it means text based forms of communication. Technically what your doing is not messaging.