ClickUp: Free project management software

I don’t see that feature anywhere. How do you make tags?

1 Like

Check out the video right on this page: https://clickup.com/task-tags

3 Likes

I ended up using this for a big project because it looked fun. Big regret. Moved back to Trello within 3-4 hours. The UI is really difficult and it was extremely hard to just place a new card & assign people so that it shows up like it does on Trello.

7 Likes

Really? That’s interesting. I’ve found ClickUp’s UI to be fairly easy to work with. For sure, there is certainly more UI to keep track of in ClickUp over Trello, but I’ve had no real issues in that regard. Everyone’s preferences are different though and I understand.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

2 Likes

Current experience with ClickUp is quite excellent. Somewhat like the experience of first time using Blender once I was checking out the features. I gave it a try on one of my current ongoing projects, turned out pretty well.

Sophisticated but still effective in my opinion.

4 Likes

Looks clear, but has long loading times on mobile devices. It is recommended to optimize your application by for example lazy loading (load content on request, not for the initial page show).

2 Likes

Looks interesting, but how does it compare to DevOps ?

2 Likes

DevOps is a name for an entirely unrelated concept, not a project management tool. Apples and oranges?

3 Likes

Sorry i meant to say Azure DevOps, its project management for development and deployment and can use Agile project management model etc.

3 Likes

I’ve personally never used Azure DevOps so I couldn’t provide you with a proper answer in this scenario. My scope of outside programs use is fairly small as I tend to be more grounded with my application choice.

I’ll post again if I’m ever able to try Azure.

2 Likes

I just want to say That you are great, i Have heard of Trello, but never used it, however after seeing your Click up desc i decided to pull the trigger on a project management system, and Boy am i impressed, I love that you can share lists, invite users, and create multiple projects and tasks with people, I dont know yet if they have a percentage tracker but i’m looking into it. Very happy that you mentioned this. I feel my team is working with the software very well.

2 Likes

This looks a lot better than Trello! I’m going to have to consider this haha
Thank you for sharing this, very useful!

2 Likes

Tried it without the “Learn” Option and without videos, easy to begin with and easy to learn. Its basicly a better Trello with a better design. I dont know if it allrdy exist but a dark mode or a custom background on the List would be awesome.The Calendar looks awesome and its good that u can put a task on the calendar
Edit: There is a dark mode pretty good

2 Likes

I used click up quite a bit ago, but I plan on using it again.

I love ClickUp’s ability for resources. It has a bit more items than trello, but trello has more integrations.

2 Likes

ClickUp is the way to go - couldn’t agree with this more. I use ClickUp for all my projects and it is simply amazing. It has a nice modern interface and is very easy to use. One very important feature is that you can even import tasks from various programs (including Trello).

2 Likes

You don’t compare ClickUp at all with hacknplan . Maybe because hacknplan is lesser known, but it seems to provide more features than ClickUp. Hacknplan has default sorting for programming, art, marketing, etc, as well as cards, subtasks, dependencies, due dates, statistics, and more. Pretty much everything is free, and the only major limitation is upload space which I don’t really reach anyways. Is there any reason I should change to ClickUp from hacknplan?

My own experience with hacknplan is that it is really not that versatile, and uses quite a rigid workflow. It really depends on your use cases. I found it useful for programming tasks, but limited for game design and planning other areas of the game. ClickUp is definitely much more versatile.

Has anyone heard of Notion? It is not necessarily the strongest app when used as a productivity system alone, but it is insanely versatile, and serves as a note taking app, a database, a productivity system, etc – anything. I would strongly recommend it for note-taking, storing information, brainstorming ideas, planning game design. here’s a good video on it.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Notion! I haven’t been too active in browsing productivity platforms since I’ve been very content with ClickUp, but it’d be good to look around at some options for the sake of discussion and knowledge. I myself am not aware of many productivity platforms hence how limited the thread is in terms of comparisons. It’s mainly meant to share ClickUp than to compare with other programs.

I’ll have a look at Notion when I’ve got some free time.

1 Like

I can personally vouch for ClickUp, it’s a great software for everything that you could possibly need.
ClickUp has a nice, modern UI and good UX. It offers several integrations (including Trello!), for example Slack, Google services etc.

Now, at first I can admit it was a bit difficult to get started with ClickUp, but after forcing myself to learn how to use it I was really happy. Me and my team are using ClickUp & Slack together now to plan various applications, and it’s just perfect-

3 Likes

I have been using ClickUp for a project for about 2 months now, it’s been absolutely excellent. I would strongly recommend this for any game development, whether a solo project or involving multiple developers. It is also incredibly versatile, and will streamline any project you throw at it.

This is what my super simple implementation looks like:

ClickUp also strongly fulfills some principles that are very front-and-centre to productivity. It seems like common sense, but here are some good quotes from Getting Things Done (David Allen):

You don’t actually do a project; you can only do action steps related to it. When enough of the right action steps have been taken, some situation will have been created that matches your initial picture of the outcome closely enough that you can call it "done.”

Use your mind to think about things, rather than think of them. You want to be adding value as you think about projects and people, not simply reminding yourself they exist.

For anybody who doesn’t use a project management software, or isn’t getting enough value from their current one, I really want to stress the amazing potential of a project management system which (1) projects the system as a series of actionable steps, immediately allowing you to work on “the next step” rather than getting lost in the complexity of the project, (2) is easy to use and versatile to whatever you throw at it, and (3) easily allows you to prioritise the actions which are most important for achieving a presentable product.

Additionally, in my own experience, I have a tendency to focus on very minor (often labelled as “fun” in order to make them seem valuable, while they are really not) features which will not contribute significant value to the game, but do take up precious development time. ClickUp (and a project management system in general, by extension) is extremely helpful for utilising something referred to as the 80/20 rule (Pareto Principle) – 80% of the results/effects come from 20% of the effort/causes. This rule can be applied to many different scenarios – in a workplace, 80% of the work is done by 20% of employees, in an interaction between a doctor and a patient, 80% of useful information comes from 20% of what is communicated. Similarly, in game development, 80% of the value of your product tends to come from 20% of your features and development effort (as a general rule, obviously the numbers are flexible). Don’t allow yourself to get sidelined–focus on what will add the most value to your game, and then polish. This is the best way to release games that are fun, and release them quickly (relatively speaking).

I hope this isn’t a total rant. I love productivity systems, and I have always had trouble completing my games, and keeping these rules in mind is insanely helpful.

I don’t think these was mentioned in the OP, so here are also some specific ClickUp features I find extremely useful:

• effectively infinite levels of hierarchy for managing tasks
  • multiple views for projects, including lists, calendar, and the classic kanban
  • tasks are able to have dependent on eachother, streamlining the prioritization of task
4 Likes

ClickUp itself is still free project management software though certain integrations do require a premium plan. By free in the title this mainly refers to the core elements a small team or so may need to effectively use ClickUp, not the entire product.

Needing to pay for certain features to improve your workflow doesn’t make something a scam. Most or all software similar in nature feature premium plans to expedite your workflow. By paying you are helping the company support the software and usually the expectation is that paying users have a flow of income that allows them to set aside a bit for the software.

Teams allow you to sort members of a board to better fine tune task access, task assignment and communication. Without teams you’re working with a teamless board where tasks are streamed to all members though for smaller teams or good internal structuring this should not be as major an issue.

If you don’t need the feature, don’t pay for it. If you’re paying, then you should be making good use of all of the features premium offers to get the most of your money for the current billing period.

1 Like