Client/character freezes when holding right click on top of window [repro]

You can freeze your character mid-air for however long you want, with this bug.

Scenarios where this is not good:

• an obby (clip through spinners)
  • minigames games like ripull’s or super bomb survival (staying in the air to avoid death)
  • a PvP competition, gaining an advantage

Repro steps:

• click and hold rightclick on the roblox window bar (or a button like the red X) for as long as you want to freeze your client for.

Happens on windows 10

Edit: This is still an issue in many games 5 years later ):

14 Likes

Reproduction steps also work with Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1

this is amazing

Still an issue.

3 Likes

I think it freezes all local scripts as well, or at least loops.

1 Like

This is a pretty bad thing in survival games like @Polyhex’s Super Bomb Survival and @Beac_n’s Zombie Rush. Players can use it to avoid danger unfairly. It’d be nice if ROBLOX fixed it.

It’s been a little over a year since this was bumped. This bug is still commonly exploited.

IIRC, TNT Rush, one of the games used in the Voltron event, had to implement a workaround that kicked players if they froze in the air for too long because this was such a common issue. Longstanding and widespread because players have had plenty of time to document and spread the exploit.

This has been around for ages

Can confirm this bug is still alive and kicking. Holding it for 30+ seconds also doesn’t appear to kick you from “losing connection”. Odd as it seems to affect everything from graphics to sound (I can hear the footstep sound stuck in a loop). My best guess is it floods the main (windows UI) loop with messages and doesn’t free up enough in the queue to allow for other threads to process.

Right clicking the top bar on windows in windowed view causes your game to freeze. This also prevents your character from being moved, and moving parts seem to not collide with your character while frozen.
This happens 100% of the time in every roblox game.

This is a fairly well known bug, but I haven’t found any posts about it. There is also another way to use this bug to walk through any wall under 1.1 studs thick.
This only works sometimes
This may be hard to reproduce but I’ll give all the steps here
Align your character flat against the wall, then push your character away slightly using shift lock and rotating your camera. Then straighten your character again and turn off shift lock.
Wait about a second, it doesn’t work if you do the rest immediately after aligning yourself.
Tap W and freeze your game, wait a bit and unfreeze. If you’re lucky and the wall is thin enough, you’ll be on the other side.

(This also works in R15 but is harder due to animations)

2 Likes

I didn’t even know about wall clipping using this. I repro’d this exact noclip scenario with your steps 3 times in 20 tries. The wall was just under 1 stud thick. Crazy how easily reproable this is (I tested with r6, have not tried r15)

alternative wording of steps:

• align yourself flat facing the wall
  • turn on shiftlock, take half a stud step back, turn off shiftlock
  • tap w and then immediately right-click-hold the window bar for a second
  • bam, other side (might take a couple tries)
1 Like

Recently, I have noticed that when you right click on the white screen in the Roblox player that it lags your character and makes your character just sit there like a duck, (basically makes you look like your flying).

This frame timeout can cause players to fly and if you have an anti-exploit script in your game, it might count that as flying and kick the player. To add onto that, if the player was playing a survive the lava game, or more specifically “Plates of Fate” then the player could basically fly over the lava or lava like brick and not die from it, this could affect others players experiences in the game. Although, I have also noticed that when you do it for too long that Roblox kicks you out of the server for an error of some sort.

Basically, players right click on the white part of the screen and move there mouse down and then it “lags” there character and makes them look like there flying.

1 Like

Oh yeah I don’t think anyone mentioned this but it happens with all windows applications. Not sure why but it doesn’t work if you use roblox downloaded from the windows store (also don’t know why). Can confirm this is still being used. If you don’t want people to do this in your game, just kick them if their FPS is 0 for too long. I’ve seen a lot of big games do this like Epic Minigames.

How would you get a player’s FPS?

You can measure the time elapsed since game:GetService(“RunService”).RenderStepped

local t = tick()
local count = 0
local fps = 60
game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:connect(function()
    count = count + 1
    if tick()-t >= 1 then
        fps = count
        count = 0
        t = tick()
    end
end)

(Untested code lol^)

This seems to be an issue that a surprising amount of people, and developers, don’t know about., even if it is one of the most well-known glitches. This is still abused, and unpatched in many games, even extremely popular ones that just came out. E.g., SamsonXVI’s Mansion, which was made in late 2019, and updated January of this year. The game has over 30 million visits, and, at one stage, you have to avoid spiders that crawl over the floor. If you touch them, you lose health.

You can abuse this glitch and unfairly take no damage. Because the stage doesn’t last that long, Roblox doesn’t auto-kick you.

1 Like

When you do this, Windows pauses your client. I’ve seen in several games with client-sided scripts, if you do this, those scripts get paused (eg. a timer in my parkour game doesn’t loop and do the wait(1) because you are holding the application’s topbar with right click)

This makes your character “fly” because your client isn’t calculating physics on your character when it is paused. Your client has network ownership of your character, and the server does not do calculations via gravity and movement because this would make your experience very laggy. This application pause bug seems to be an inherent bug in Windows that I have seen across other software if I am remembering correctly. As I am aware, this bug is impossible on Mac.

I don’t think this is fixable on Roblox’s end. Some good solutions could be done on your end, such as to just implement good flying checks and don’t ban the player for hovering, just kick them or respawn their character. If Roblox can fix this, that would be very cool, but in that case, it may incentivize some users to use exploits to fly.

I have also noticed this occurs when holding down the close X with leftclick.

1 Like

This is all correct as far as I know. This sort of “freeze glitch” will work for quite literally any non-fullscreen program where the topbar is visible. Minecraft, Chrome, etc. This is related to how Windows handles things, and as far as I know, can’t be circumvented. I’m not sure why exactly this happens, but it won’t be possible to change without some kind of background service/program running.

1 Like

This is fixable on roblox’s end by removing the bar and replacing the - [] X buttons with lua. There’s probably another solution too. Who knows. Hope they fix it though

1 Like