Client/Studio freezing on my MacBook Pro

So when testing 2 player in Studio, I will get low frame rate and then ultimately a complete freeze. I don’t think its memory related as my Activity monitor is not showing any pressure on the memory, however, it tends to not occur if less than half my memory is in use. Plus, all my other processes are running smoothly, its just the 2 clients and Server instance which are freezing. There is also no errors printed in the output. This has made it pretty much impossible to test my game in Studio.

Game I am trying to test in Studio: https://www.roblox.com/games/659961352/HCBB-Testing-Only

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? Happens every time, if I have a few other applications open, like Chrome and QuickTimePlayer, however, if I don’t have QuickTimePlayer open it won’t freeze. But if I replace QTP with say another Roblox Studio Place or Discord, then the issue occurs again.
    Repro steps:
    1: Be sure to run game:SetPlaceId(0) in command bar, so it doesn’t try to load private models.
    2: Start Server with 2 players
    3: Have one player walk onto the mound to pitch, while the other steps into the batters box
    4: Then follow what it shows in the video below to try and hit the ball (where LMB is to pitch, and LMB clicked twice to swing)
    5: Hitting the ball tends to freeze it more often than if you missed.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) In Studio only

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone?

• For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

• When did the bug start happening? Recent update of studio Aug. 9th

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.
    I already tried deleting the Roblox Studio App and re-installing it and tried restarting my Computer. Both didn’t do anything.
    Also Roblox Studio tried auto updating on Aug. 9th when I was on vacation with terrible internet, which failed to complete the update.

I’d recommend sending the studio text logs to ROBLOX.

where would I find that?

So it appears this isn’t just a Studio Bug, as I just now got it while playing Prison Royale

I’ve frozen like 4 times now while playing Prison Royale, but the first 3 times was just complete freezes and I thought maybe it was a bug with the game (since it is early testing). However, this last one had the studder step and low frame rate like in my video from the OP, so I believe they are the same bug.

Also where can I find studio text logs on Mac?

Hi @Baumz, in Studio can you try setting your GraphicsMode to OpenGL? (It’s in File | Settings | Rendering | GraphicsMode)

1 Like

Didn’t seem to change anything.

Also I will be away from the computer for the like next 3 hours so sorry if I don’t respond right away.

Sorry, I mean, can you still reproduce the problem in studio after changing the settings? (That change doesn’t affect other games you play.)

1 Like

It did seem to be reproducible in studio, as I was getting low frame rates (in studio).

So I was messing around with this more in studio, and found out that the client actually isn’t freezing, it’s just the rendering that gets stuck.

For example, on the client that was frozen, I could still send events to the Server and move the character around with those changes replicating. Only the rendering of that client was not updating.

In this video I have two clients running, one is frozen while the other is not. The video show me switching back between the two and performing inputs on the client which is frozen and switching back to the other to see the changes replicating.

So this bug is completely Rendering based.

Also while I was playing Prison Royale, my connection to the server must of still be solid as I waited like 3 mins while it was frozen and at one point I heard gun shots, which was probably someone else killing me 3 mins after I froze.

When running in studio, is your graphics mode set to OpenGL? Also, for the client that’s frozen can you show the Render stats (View menu, Render button) and post a screenshot?

1 Like

Using OpenGL it doesn’t seem to freeze and actually seems to be running correctly (can run with 4 players smoothly, 5 or 6 gets low Frame rate, but that is kinda expected).

When set to Automatic it seems to use Metal for graphics which has the issue on it, here is screen shots from 2 frozen clients:

Thanks for the confirmation. We’re looking into this bug.

1 Like