ClientCast - A Client-based, Idiosyncratic Hitbox System!

Bone is a sub-class of Attachment, and in the update I changed from .ClassName == "Attachment" to :IsA("Attachment"). This change should allow for using Bones also - did you make sure to rename the Bone to DmgPoint?

I downloaded version 1.14.0 (release. rbxm). You canā€™t directly use the method of modifying the bone name (robloxā€™s bone system does not allow the existence of bones with the same name). I think you misunderstood my meaning, or I didnā€™t find the relevant use method (because I didnā€™t see any code related to bones in the module). I hope to add bones like Attachment (similar to RaycastHitboxV4), but it doesnā€™t matter, I modified the following functions OnDamagePointAdded and UpdateAttachment in a clumsy way (the same as the bone tracking of RaycastHitboxV4). My modifications and character bones are shown in the following figure (but I didnā€™t add the code related to the debug, so I canā€™t see the track of the related bones. After my test, the results are good):

Snipaste_2022-11-02_22-20-03

Ah, I see. I wasnā€™t aware you wanted to use bones without changing their name - Iā€™ll consider making bones work with attributes too, and not just names.

Ok, friends, Iā€™m looking forward to your update. I think in the near future, your module should be used by more developers who make action games

I have no clue wether is this a bug or not Iā€™m attempting to use the example given everything runs fine but the humanoidcollided event is not firing whatsoever

Yeah me too, it just wonā€™t fire for some reason.

For some reason both the collided and humanoid collided wonā€™t fire.
Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 12.31.25 PM
Debug works fine, everything is good except for this.

Do you have any reproduction steps, ideally with a minimal amount of code? The following test place works for me:
TestPlace.rbxl (56.9 KB)

I think it has something to do with the framework Iā€™m using but Iā€™m not sure because Iā€™ve tried to reproduce the error by changing a few things in your testing file but it still works fine, maybe you can ask the other guy.

Make sure that you are using Part for creating caster, other things such as Model wont work (even if it shows you the debug trails)

Oh makes sense godbless friend.

Setting the object as the model will work, so long you call :SetRecursive(true).

Heya there!

For some reason whenever the player resets/dies once, the caster stops working?

Hereā€™s the place file:
swordtest.rbxl (124.4 KB)

I played around with the .rbxl file and do not know what your first problem is, but there is also another problem, that if you copy your sword into the workspace, play, pick it up, and move around in a circle , it is damaging yourselfā€¦

1 Like

That looks like regular behavior based on how I coded the sword. But itā€™s not related to the first problem, so I donā€™t really care (for now).

Iā€™ve tested this for quite a bit. This appears to be a bug in the module, since I noticed these behaviours:

• The bug only affects player-owned casters. Server casters are fine.
  • Creating the caster as a server caster, and then changing its owner to a player immediately after, is fine.

I tried these workarounds:

• Stopping the caster after the player dies.
  • Destroying the caster after the player dies.
  • Creating a completely new instance of the weapon.

ā€¦of which none worked, sadly. So itā€™s something about the initial player ownership that breaks here. Try this:

local hitbox = CC.new(tool, hitboxParams, nil)
hitbox:SetOwner(player)
1 Like

I actually did this earlier to no luck. But when I tried it again, it works now? I probably did something wrong back then lol.

Thanks so much!

Just came back after like an hour andā€¦ it just doesnā€™t work again??

The rays visualize after one death/reset, but HumanoidCollided or Collided donā€™t fire anymore?

Hereā€™s the place file:
swordtest2.rbxl (124.5 KB)

cc. @lewisakura
The issue seems to be with you using an older version of ClientCast - which broke when StarterGui.ResetPlayerGuiOnSpawn was set to true. This has been fixed in the newer versions (since June) - updating the module in your swordtest place file fixed the issue for me.
Here is the module file I used:
ClientCast.rbxm (15.1 KB)

2 Likes

Oh, thank you!

I guess I probably shouldā€™ve gotten the file from GitHub instead of Roblox.