ClipDescendants to work with rotation

I noticed that if you rotate a frame or gui object that has clipdescendants on, the image that is supposed to be clipped will show itself completely.

Could we have it where if you rotate, say a map image that’s being clipped into a square frame, it would rotate itself while maintaining that square border clipping?

That way we can actually make a legit minimap radar that shows the actual map image moving and rotating as you walk and turn around.

2 Likes

They’ve said many many times that they aren’t interested in figuring out how to do this reliably.

2big4robloas /shrug

edit: what about more lower level features (like shaders, post processing, and canvas uis) that would help make these features (and many more)???!!

[quote] They’ve said many many times that they aren’t interested in figuring out how to do this reliably.

2big4robloas /shrug

edit: what about more lower level features (like shaders, post processing, and canvas uis) that would help make these features (and many more)???!! [/quote]Pssh, shaders, canvases, post processing? What is this, a serious game development platform?

But in all honesty, people have asked for this before and they’ve replied along the lines of “can’t do this without performance issues”.

Presumably due to the limitations of mobile and people’s grandmother’s PCs. :slight_smile:

[quote] They’ve said many many times that they aren’t interested in figuring out how to do this reliably.

2big4robloas /shrug

edit: what about more lower level features (like shaders, post processing, and canvas uis) that would help make these features (and many more)???!! [/quote]Pssh, shaders, canvases, post processing? What is this, a serious game development platform?

But in all honesty, people have asked for this before and they’ve replied along the lines of “can’t do this without performance issues”.

Presumably due to the limitations of mobile and people’s grandmother’s PCs. :)[/quote]

Here’s an idea. Stop catering to mobile and outdated pcs
Roblox already seems to have a system in place that prompts a warning message on the game page:
your device might not be compatible with this game or something to that effect

If people want to be idiots and spam these until they game’s back breaks they’ll see a large decrease in traffic.
However, if people were to use these artistically, they’d open up many more possibilities that would far expand our current scope.

We have a quality slider on our game menu for a reason. Disable all shaders on level 1 and mobile for all I care. Simply give us the ability to read the current game quality and give us the power to determine if the player is bypassing any anti-shading loopholes for an advantage.

This isnt a foreign concept. I’m not a child. I can handle the big boy toys now.

It’s not about just the old hardware, it’s also about the crappy new hardware as well. (Yes, we still support FFP, but its usage these days is so statistically insignificant, you can safely ignore it.) There are literally tons of laptops out there with integrated Intels in them. Or look at those “professional” Dell Laptops with Quadro n000 “workstation” “graphics” “cards”. That card is so awesome, when I open 3dsmax, draw a box and rotate it, I get 10 fps in the viewport. And that’s with the “carefully optimized” driver (Nitrous) that nvidia developed for 3dsmax in collaboration with Autodesk. Like really.

I personally have an Asus Zenbook UX32A with and integrated Intel HD 3000. A “graphics” “card” so crappy It can run vanilla TES4:Oblivion (a game that was 6 years old, when this laptop had been introduced in what, 2012) at a lousy 20 fps with HDR turned off.

Roblox, on the other hand, runs quite fine.

So okay, let’s suppose you have this tiny little number. Sometimes it’s stuck at a single value, sometimes it changes from 1 to 20 during the game. What exactly are you going to do with it?

Tailor our game to their desired graphic settings. It makes sense that if someone has their graphic settings at one, I shouldn’t be doing any sort of neat intensive lighting effects – however, if it’s at 10, then it’s a completely different story. ROBLOX’s automatic optimization is great, but it’s not perfect.

[quote] It’s not about just the old hardware, it’s also about the crappy new hardware as well. (Yes, we still support FFP, but its usage these days is so statistically insignificant, you can safely ignore it.) There are literally tons of laptops out there with integrated Intels in them. Or look at those “professional” Dell Laptops with Quadro n000 “workstation” “graphics” “cards”. That card is so awesome, when I open 3dsmax, draw a box and rotate it, I get 10 fps in the viewport. And that’s with the “carefully optimized” driver (Nitrous) that nvidia developed for 3dsmax in collaboration with Autodesk. Like really.

I personally have an Asus Zenbook UX32A with and integrated Intel HD 3000. A “graphics” “card” so crappy It can run vanilla TES4:Oblivion (a game that was 6 years old, when this laptop had been introduced in what, 2012) at a lousy 20 fps with HDR turned off.

Roblox, on the other hand, runs quite fine.

So okay, let’s suppose you have this tiny little number. Sometimes it’s stuck at a single value, sometimes it changes from 1 to 20 during the game. What exactly are you going to do with it?[/quote]Well if going to be cheap, you’re going to get what you paid for. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

That’s how it’s always worked in the PC gaming market. If you’re going to buy some integrated laptop for ~$200 to play games with, then that’s your problem.

People deal with 30FPS on consoles, somehow. God knows how, but they do. The hardware in consoles is still bad.

Buying an actual laptop with more grunt doesn’t cost that much more (really, it doesnt), and really - who buys a business computer to do rendering? That’s just silly.

I do understand perhaps if you were coming from the perspective of someone who didn’t have a choice in the matter, but really if they’re playing games on PC they’re going to have a bad time with integrated graphics.

I know what it’s like, ROBLOX doesn’t run at a perfect 60 on old hardware. The motherboard of my desktop’s integrated graphics were so bad that ROBLOX dropped to below 30 most of the time (this being an ex-business PC), so I do understand the business laptop argument. There’s a reason it’s a business laptop. It’s for work, not for play.

The number of active lights has no influence whatsoever on the GPU performance. Our lighting is entirely CPU-based and its updates are very well granularized. On slower CPUs it will simply take more frames to update the lighting, but overall, the impact on the framerate is always under control.

And to be honest, I rather doubt that most developers would ever consider dynamically creating/deleting lights based on the current quality level setting.

[quote] That’s how it’s always worked in the PC gaming market. If you’re going to buy some integrated laptop for ~$200 to play games with, then that’s your problem.

People deal with 30FPS on consoles, somehow. God knows how, but they do. The hardware in consoles is still bad.

Buying an actual laptop with more grunt doesn’t cost that much more (really, it doesnt), and really - who buys a business computer to do rendering? That’s just silly.

I do understand perhaps if you were coming from the perspective of someone who didn’t have a choice in the matter, but really if they’re playing games on PC they’re going to have a bad time with integrated graphics.

I know what it’s like, ROBLOX doesn’t run at a perfect 60 on old hardware. The motherboard of my desktop’s integrated graphics were so bad that ROBLOX dropped to below 30 most of the time (this being an ex-business PC), so I do understand the business laptop argument. There’s a reason it’s a business laptop. It’s for work, not for play. [/quote]
Firstly, it doesn’t matter that those “business” laptops aren’t meant for gaming. They’re still being used for gaming regardless of their “intended” purpose. Most kids don’t really get to choose what they play on, most probably get “dat dad’s old laptop”.
And Most modern laptops aren’t that good performance-wise either.

Secondly, I don’t believe it’s correct to compare Roblox to the hardcore PC gaming market in terms of available hardware. We’re more close to the casual game market that existed before the smartphones took over. Back then, casual games targeted a very wide variety of fairly outdated office computers with nothing but the bare windows xp installed on them. The games released in, say, 2009 were still using DirectX8. And I’ll bet they’re still using it even today.

That being said, however, the situation is slowly improving, because despite Intel’s efforts, the hardware becomes better and better (and more accessible) every day. So we are (slowly) updating the graphics, and we’ve got lots of awesome stuff planned for this year.

[quote] That’s how it’s always worked in the PC gaming market. If you’re going to buy some integrated laptop for ~$200 to play games with, then that’s your problem.

I know what it’s like, ROBLOX doesn’t run at a perfect 60 on old hardware. The motherboard of my desktop’s integrated graphics were so bad that ROBLOX dropped to below 30 most of the time (this being an ex-business PC), so I do understand the business laptop argument. There’s a reason it’s a business laptop. It’s for work, not for play. [/quote]
Firstly, it doesn’t matter that those “business” laptops aren’t meant for gaming. They’re still being used for gaming regardless of their “intended” purpose. Most kids don’t really get to choose what they play on, most probably get “dat dad’s old laptop”.
And Most modern laptops aren’t that good performance-wise either.

Secondly, I don’t believe it’s correct to compare Roblox to the hardcore PC gaming market in terms of available hardware. We’re more close to the casual game market that existed before the smartphones took over. Back then, casual games targeted a very wide variety of fairly outdated office computers with nothing but the bare windows xp installed on them. The games released in, say, 2009 were still using DirectX8. And I’ll bet they’re still using it even today.

That being said, however, the situation is slowly improving, because despite Intel’s efforts, the hardware becomes better and better (and more accessible) every day. So we are (slowly) updating the graphics, and we’ve got lots of awesome stuff planned for this year.[/quote]I didn’t take into consideration the casual gamers and I feel kind of bad for going off on a rant like I did.

I do agree with you, things do seem to be improving. I just got off to a little rant because I enjoy making things with ROBLOX and feel that there could be more added to the platform to make it even greater. I think I’m just growing out of ROBLOX a bit because of how limited I feel with the platform still.

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys have in store for us this year, anyway. I’m positive it’ll be a good year.

My thread got skewed off real far… =O

So does this mean there’s no chance of making ClipDescendants to work with rotation despite the ‘improving situation’?
Or did I lose track of where the entire post went?

Back on topic.

I requested this a while ago but I heard it wasn’t going to be done because they had to deal with “Arbitrary angles” or something…
Wasn’t happy to hear it.