Clone Player's Character Model

I’m trying to build an in-game store/avatar customizer.

I’d like to clone my player’s current character into a ViewportFrame.

However, cloning a player’s character seems to fail silently.

If I create a new doc in Studio, join and type this code into the command bar:
local p = game.Players.Shedletsky.Character:Clone() p.Parent = game.Workspace

It throws because p is nil.

I don’t want to load a character from the website using CreateHumanoidModelFromUserId, because I am using custom characters. I want to clone my guy like I can do in Studio with a copy/paste.

I don’t understand why the character model is special.

I went the long way around and did this, but it breaks character animation and I have no idea why:

function charCopy(player)
	local c = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
	print("character loaded locally")

local k = c:GetChildren()

local result = Instance.new("Model")

for i = 1,#k do
		k[i].Archivable = true
		local t = k[i]:Clone()
		t.Parent = result
	end

result.Name = player.Name

return result
end

local char = charCopy(game.Players.LocalPlayer)
2 Likes

Models also have the archivable property, and character models have it set to false by default. Enabling the property (Character.Archivable = true) will allow the model to be cloned. This won’t change the situation with animations though, since animations are driven by a LocalScript. Check this post from boatbomber for a full solution to rendering a copy of your character locally in a ViewportFrame: Rendering the character with a ViewportFrame - #31 by boatbomber

3 Likes

######################!

This code works with respect to character animation. No idea why. Thanks for the tip about character models being Archivable = false.

function charCopy(player)
	local c = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
	print("character loaded locally")

c.Archivable = true
	local result = c:Clone()

return result
end
3 Likes

My bad, animations work fine when the character is a descendant of playerGui. I was thinking of the issue that arises when you clone a player character to the workspace.

You can also clone the character by making a brand new model and cloning the character’s children into it, but that’s definitely better.