Collaborative Editing has arrived!

No before you couldn’t delete the script it would give you an error message saying “SOMEONE is editing this script.”

1 Like

This is awesome!

But something I’m wondering about is Code Reviews and things like Pull Requests. It sounds like the differences are visible to the developer making the change, but not visible to the rest of the team. Is there any plan to make something like that where the team could review the change?

Also, are there different settings available where the person writing the change would need to go through an approval process for the change to be committed? That could be useful for a larger team along with the whole team being able to review it.

4 Likes

I see. I feel like I’ve had a script that I was editing get deleted before though. I think it even creates a backup of the edited script as shown in the video.

2 Likes

GitHub is still probably going to be my go-to when it comes to code version control and hosting code on a neat and organised repository, but this update is welcomed with open arms.

Locked scripts honestly ticked me off so much and the lack of being able to see differences did as well. I would never know who that one person ruining my codebase is and it would be difficult to look into changes. Being able to see code differences is a very important tool to have for a multitude of reasons.

So, attributes next? Where are my attributes?

15 Likes

Is this being aimed as a future replacement for the Github/VisualStudio/Rojo set up?

2 Likes

Yes, this is currently only available for Team Create. To what end would you like to use this in a non-TC game? For editing by yourself, or for working with other developers that are changing scripts while you’re offline/etc?

It generally helps to provide as much information as possible when asking whether we will support a feature or not. Otherwise if we have something planned we won’t know if it addresses your needs (e.g. we only support non-TC for editing by yourself, but you want to edit in a team), and if we don’t have it planned, providing a compelling use case may just as well motivate us to support it.

No. There are some benefits like the ones you’ve mentioned, but the local edits+commit approach is more broadly useful. If you would like us to support live code editing as well, please make a feature request with as much information as possible.

Similarly, providing as much information as possible will make sure we are addressing your needs with any work towards these, or convince us to support these use cases if we already don’t. These particular features are a lot, so I would recommend making a feature request thread to discuss developer needs for these.

5 Likes

This is amazing!

Would it be possible for one person to create multiple drafts of the same script at once? For example, say I’ve started working on a feature that’ll take 2 weeks to create. However, I’ve just discovered a major bug that I need to patch and push to production immediately, without also publishing the incomplete feature code I’m in the process of writing. Would I be able to create a second draft that commits only the bug fix to the server?

8 Likes

I smell someone getting fired!

3 Likes

Interesting,I love it,gonna give it a try.

2 Likes

Woah! This must be one of the best features ever!

2 Likes

Wait, so I can finally edit the same script with others at the same time? Seeing their changes live and same with them?

1 Like

Does this update also include the ability to access datastores and output on the server in a team create environment?

1 Like

To be honest I wasn’t expecting this to be added, that I guess is one of the things that surprised me this year. To be honest also I think its great that roblox added this. Double scripting I guess sounds awesome

3 Likes

This is cool, but live editing would be amazing. It was kinda what I was expecting while reading this :sad:

1 Like

Brilliant idea, now it will be easier to go along with my friend rather than to take turns!

1 Like

Seems like a great idea, although still apparently lacking the ability to broadcast changes in real-time, like what Google Docs does (showing their cursor, and replacing text as soon as it is typed in a temporary version of the document before saving and storing the current data)

5 Likes

When is this update being added?

1 Like

This is absolutely fantastic I love the idea of having multiple scriptures on a project and being able to see who edited what when and where I constantly have this very issue.I also like the idea of being able to compare script side-by-side seeing what works and making changes to see if you break or fix anything great job Roblox team

1 Like

This idea is amazing. I am glad to see what this brings as I’ve always wanted something like this as I normally hate pair programming. But this brings it to another level. I can’t wait to see what this is used for. This is most likely going to become a necessity for me. Nice release Roblox and happy holidays.

1 Like

This is really complicated and just really time consuming trying to get your stuff and the draft system. Team create isn’t really stable at the moment so if something goes wrong and everyone gets disconnected will the saved drafts be there? Please get these problems fixed before you release new stuff that will also make a bigger problem.

Also this might be a weird idea and probably would make studio crash, is it possible to have a collaborative google doc/drive type of system and you can see where everyone is working on and see them type in real time?

1 Like