Community Opinion: Are these replies spam or not?

Reading #public-collaboration, I see lots of posts like…

Great work! Adding you on Discord, railworks2#0001

I’ve added you on Discord, railworks2#0001

Or maybe

Added new work to portfolio

Changed Discord

Is this spam? Feel free to discuss what you think.
Or just vote in the 4 polls below.

First example, is this spam?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

Second example, is this spam?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

Third example, is this spam?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

Forth example, is this spam?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

3 Likes

Looking at the first wave of a feedback, a lot has voted that yes it’s spam.
But why is that not flagged?

1 Like

These are spams, without doubt. You could easily determine that they are spam because they would’ve contacted in the PMs or DMs, instead of publicly showing the message for everyone in absolute unnecessary.

They were never flagged properly due to insufficient people checking the categories. Skimming.

10 Likes

This I don’t see as spam if it includes other content (ex: “Added new work to portfolio. Still open to be hired.” a few weeks after the last post). The first two could be DMs as said above and the last one doesn’t

5 Likes

Great work! Adding you on Discord, railworks2#0001

I’ve added you on Discord, railworks2#0001

I think both of these messages are spam as you don’t really need to publicly say to someone you have added them on Discord. I think the person should be just notified via a PM on here saying they have been sent a friend request on Discord.

I would say these two messages aren’t really spam as they are keeping people updated about their work/recruitment opportunity.

2 Likes

While that is true for the second two, the same could be accomplished by just editing the original post and adding the new content along with dates for when they were added, or even adding an update counter along with dates at the top of the post.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for their feedback so far, both replies and voting. I have a few further questions.

Those who voted on the poll.
  1. Why did you vote not sure?
  2. For example 3 and 4, why did you vote as you did?
For Operatik
  1. Are you referring to all of them? Or just the first?
  1. Interesting that not even one flagged them. That does make me wonder why.
For waterrunner

Would the fact that it bumps the post change your mind?

For me, it relates to the value of the reply for me. Do you find something like that when looking at posts?

More polls time. In public collaboration posts, there is this note.

Do you think this means basic feedback becomes acceptable and allowed?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
  • Not sure
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

Here, I am referring to the first two. The bottom two are also spams, because the edits can be done on the post anyways.

However, they are still on-topic and really unnecessary at the same time. What weighs more is the pointless usage, because there are other options that would reduce the flooding of contacts, and endorsements of one recruitment(also criticism) should not be flagged.

1 Like

Each post example you’ve provided is spam. This is because it does not ensure education and cannot publicly benefit anyone; for this reason, an extensively underutilized feature, DMs, should be operated.

For example three, however, I deemed it as appropriate because I think an addition in work deserves a bump post. If you have a sale, or additional work, feel free to bump your portfolio.*

* - Disclaimer: This tactic is heavily my personal procedure. I am not aware of its compliance with the Developer Forum guidelines; refer to a stronger Developer Forum figure informed with the rules for confirmation.

To answer your question, please refrain from providing any forms of feedback in any #public-collaboration:public-portfolios. It’s meant to showcase works in return for profit, not community satisfaction. I’ve made a post about negative feedback in the past, and how it should be avoided, and the same applies with positive feedback. Avoid feedback in certain categories: my advice is to avoid #public-collaboration unless you’re in need of its features.

2 Likes

Now that you have said it I am more in agreement with you now making me view these posts more as spam. I didn’t really think about these posts being bump posts and the minimal value they add to a topic. These posts clearly don’t add much value to a topic and only inform people of a small change. They are also very low quality if the posts you provided are the whole post.

What ever way I think about it now I can’t seem to find a way to mark these posts as not being spam or a way of bumping. I am very much leaning towards these being spam posts now.

I think this is saying that you should only say good things and be supportive of the developer/work rather than feedback on how to improve/negative feedback about the developer. It specifically says, “show support for the developer’s work.” I think this is suggesting you should talk about your good past experiences with the developer and simple positive feedback about the developers work.

1 Like

I may be a bit biased in my answers but, I’ll try to keep it short and sweet: Yes, exemples 1,2 and 4 can count as spam.

Here is why: I used to be part of a [now defunct] forum that had a strict spam policy (messages such as “PM Sent” would be automatically caught and the poster reprimanded (from a reminder to a permanent ban for repeated offenses)), and these 4 exemples you provided well they’d count as such if you posted in said forum…

• Exemple 1 & 2 would count as “unneeded bumps”

• 3 would be not considered spam (I voted yes on this one, oops!) but would rather count as a relevant bump (if you include a summary of what has been added with it, that is!)

• 4 would fall under the unneeded bumps as well (such as “PM sent”), as [quoting one of the admins on the forum I mentioned] “there is no need to yell on the roofs that you sent a single PM”.

1 Like

People following a thread aren’t notified of edits

Well, the Roblox team can’t check out all the messages. Just think they made a Post Approval team. So, they are based on player reports.

Well of course, DevEngagement can’t check all of them. That isn’t the point. It’s about why it isn’t flagged rather than deleted. Flagging is about users actions, not DevRel.

Post approval has been a thing for a long amount of time. They are here to make sure that new posts meet the requirements and are moved.

Yes. Which is why I ask the community, why they react as they do.

They are probably sent for review from the Roblox team.

Flags from users are sent to DevRel to review.

But that’s not the point, I’m talking about why you, or any other person on the Developer Forums will react to these posts and why people flag like they do. Why do you choose to flag a post or not. If DevRel accepts that flag is a separate issue and is not in scope of this question.