Compatibility Lighting becomes Retro Tone Mapping [Sunset + Migration]

If this change enables you to build out other features of the lighting engine like making realistic lighting better, I find it a good update.

Games who will have the most work with this change are probably classic style games with huge maps and lighting.

2 Likes

Oh neat, I actually love the way voxel lighting looks, I’ve been wanting to recreate it in a different game engine just for the fun of it.

How does voxel lighting work actually?
I couldn’t find much information about it when I searched for it.

It’s cheap to compute and it makes lighting look very stylized.
I recall that computing voxel lighting is so cheap and fast that it can even be done on the CPU.

Compatibility Lighting, with all of these lights having a brightness of 5

Voxel Lighting + Migration changes, same brightness

Voxel Lighting + Migration changes, and lights adjusted in an attempt to look like how it was in Compatibility

It doesn’t have the same effect I was going for. I’m trying to achieve a similar style of light & light colors that certain games like Garry’s Mod (and by extension, the Source Engine) use, but having to switch to Voxel, even with the migration implementations, doesn’t make it feel the same now.

The purple lights in this castle were based off of the lights in the rp_richland map, especially the purple bath-tub (don’t have any images for that):

What can I do to fix these lights? One user replied that I just have to change the bloom, but I don’t use a significant amount of bloom that would cause this, rather Voxel likes to severely magnify and create a glowing effect on parts that have a bright light on them, and I can’t remove that glow effect without turning down the light’s brightness significantly.

5 Likes

I was so hyped when i read color grading (Thinking we got much more color grading options) only to find out its filter presets :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

The people complaining are the exact reason why the Roblox engine is like 20 years behind everything else.

The year is 2024, we NEED better graphics. Not some 2010 compatibility garbage that makes games look worse than a DS Lite (if anyone here is even old enough to have had one).

7 Likes

Could this be the beginning of a series of upgrades eventually finally giving us a larger radius for lights?

3 Likes

The issue is that not everybody that makes a game wants to use Future Lighting, some people choose shadowmap, voxel or even compatibility just because they fit the style of their game more or because they just prefer the technology.

Roblox’s lighting engine has changed a lot with the FIB project but a lot of games simply dont change over to the newest lighting either because the owner doesn’t care about updating the game anymore or because the owner simply doesnt think that the newer engines fit the game (or just isnt bothered to change).

I wont go against Roblox recieving better graphics as long as they’re 100% optional since there are a lot of devices that cant render advanced graphics such as Volumetric lighting at a high distance real time setting.

From what i know at least half of Roblox users are playing on a phone/tablet, most of these devices are not as capable as normal desktop PCs and they would not be able to render the graphics that pc users would be able to.

Another issue with Roblox is that the graphics settings are way too simple for what the platform is now, a slider could work for an overall, quick change but we will soon need some sort of advanced settings like in other games (Fortnite, Apex Legends, etc…) so that users that arent on the most powerful or recent hardware could turn down the settings that are more resource demanding and still be able to (for example) see more than 30 meters in front of them while not having to render the realistic sun shadows.

Roblox is kind of in a tough spot regarding lighting improvements at the moment.
(Sorry if i sound aggressive towards you, that isnt my intention)

9 Likes

Pretty poor logic.

Not everyone wants their game to look ultra realistic. People like the old lighting because it can genuinely look nicer and be more fitting to whatever their game is.

High quality graphics are a great thing to add to the platform but they shouldn’t be forced like you clearly want here.

Also important to mention people aren’t complaining about the removal of the mode itself because it’s just being moved to the new “tone mapper” instance as a preset.
They’re complaining about things the preset cannot provide like brightness clamping and effects like, for example, shadow placement. (making your reply more-or-less irrelevant)

9 Likes

The main issue that i have with the tonemapper is the brightness not being capped, which will have unintended effects in games like Flood Escape 1, Retrostudio and Work at a Pizza Place.

There’s the darker and overall more apparent shadows too, which make previously lit up areas completely dark.

Other than that, the tonemapper is still bittersweet for me but its better than nothing.

1 Like

Not every game wants to look ultra realistic, and Compatibility was one of, if of THE best thing they’ve done for preserving their older games on the platform, back when it used to be a “Online Building Toy”.

The removal of Compatibility is damaging the work they’ve done to keep these older games the way they originally were, if this new retro tone mapping thing doesn’t fix all the problems it has currently (More shadows than Compatibility + Lights being messed up) then this will, in my opinion; be a major problem.

I know ROBLOX cares about it’s older games, they have to… right? They helped make ROBLOX be ROBLOX. Without them, you wouldn’t be here. 2016 was the main reason why ROBLOX is as big as it is today.

But, that’s just my opinion.

10 Likes

RetroStudio already started using this new voxel tone mapper, many games made in it that use lights will have to adjust every single one.

6 Likes

I’m aware of this, i’ll have to go back and look at my creations in there.

Now that i think about it though, couldn’t Retrostudio make a script that checks for lights that have a brightness value greater than 1 and cap it? Retrostudio doesnt have an executable studio, its running on an actual place.

1 Like

yo can you please add the “Outlines” property back in lightings from 2018 please it was really goated

4 Likes

I don’t really have any thoughts on the Compatibility sunsetting. But I’m not gonna lie, I’m confused as to why it’s called a ‘Color Grading effect’ when it’s actually a filter to emulate Compatability lighting.

1 Like

Yeah we need this back one day. Or at the very least, cylinder and wedge support for selectionboxes

2 Likes

hmm, would be really cool if roblox added custom lighting technologies or, adjustment layers? this would be revolutionary for everyone on roblox. this could not only work for ppl that want to make classical places, but advanced graphical designers. just think about it. the imagination we could use to remake everything lol

5 Likes

Other posts on here have explained why this is wrong so I’m not going to repeat what has already been said, I know most of the people defending this change are just fanboys trying to make Roblox appear as if they do no wrong that never look at the bigger picture, let me explain my concern.

My concern is Roblox not caring for it’s older games any more, this is a complete “believe me bro” but I recall it being mentioned by Roblox staff members that keeping old games playable is a priority of there’s (This can also be proven by the fact a lot of old games that ain’t been updated in years are still semi-playable and also the reason they implemented the compatibility technology to begin with) they seem to have forgotten or don’t care about preserving the old games on the platform and it’s going to negatively effect them as there are a lot of online communities that like to play old Roblox games either for nostalgia sake or because it’s better than a remade version.

For all the people defending this saying “It’s going to help the platform expand by allowing the engine developers to focus on new features instead of preserving old ones!”, let me ask you this, first of all as many people have already proven compatibility makes use of the new lighting engine (Read previous posts for more information) and secondly, should a beloved feature such as R6 should be removed? R6 is the old Roblox character rig, why should Roblox keep updating it, aren’t the engine developers wasting time that could be spent “working on a new feature”?

I am aware removing R6 is an extreme example, but Roblox is going to keep removing these minor components that made up old Roblox until they eventually just remove everything even closely resembling old Roblox.

With that all being said, what is the actual solution to this problem that doesn’t involve completely removing compatibility? It’s quite simple, deprecate compatibility, hide it from the lighting technology drop down menu (Because modern developers seeing old Roblox is a huge no no!) and make it only accessible through the command bar and/or plugins, if any new Roblox feature has issues with the compatibility technology, it’s not Roblox’s problem any more and instead you should upgrade to another lighting technology if you want to use said feature, this is essentially what they did with studs. I think people will still be upset about this but it’s better than completely getting rid of it.

10 Likes

I think it’d be good if there was some sort of intensity slider for the lighting for the time being. While testing it out on my own game, I realized it looks surprisingly realistic and readable with more raw colors, but also very flat and gray. I’d love some way to have an inbetween.

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of the stuff in this, Especially when you said they should just deprecate it. A far better idea than what they’re doing now, removing it and replacing it a worser method.

4 Likes

Roblox is a very fast moving train with no brakes

It’s unfortunate that compatibility lighting is slated to be removed, but if u were to look at it from the Roblox side of the garden, there’s no reason to keep something like compatibility because they’re 1. pushing/trending towards realism for like the past however many years and 2. there does not exist at this point in time, a game that is worth maintaining any lighting setting that is not either shadowmap or future

The upside of this update is they’re at least giving us the means to replicate what is going to be removed, which is huge if that becomes a trend later down the line. Similar to how the MaterialService.Use2022Materials property exists

2 Likes