Confused trying to scale a union

Very simple problem, struggling to find a solution for this…

I created a Union that is a triangle, built from two Wedge parts:
Traingle1

I’d like to be able to scale this part while keeping the current dimensions. I’ve tried increasing the Size property of the union, however this only seems to effect the selection box for the triangle, not the size of the triangle itself. For example, here is what I’m seeing when I double the Size for this triangle:
Traingle2

In Studio, I can use the Scale tool to achieve the behavior I’m looking for, which seems to change the Size property as I scale. However, when setting the Size property via Properties or via script, only the selection box changes as shown above.

What is the solution here? Thanks in advance for the help.

4 Likes

Unions can only be resized uniformly. When you scale one side of a union you’ll find the other sides are always proportionally scaled as well. For example, if you scale a union triangle of size 1,1,1 in any direction using an increment of 1 stud, you’ll find the size will change to 2,2,2.

When attempting to resize a union through its size property without proportionally changing each value, this uniformity is broken, causing only the selection box to resize rather than the union itself. For example:

A union with size 1,1,1.

A union with size 1,1,3.

The only workaround I think I’ve ever known and used is to just separate the union, rescale the parts to the required size and recreate the union.

There was a feature request for this functionality a while ago but it doesn’t look like Roblox were very interested. As of now, unions cannot be stretched.

3 Likes

Often times if I do want to stretch a union and I find that I don’t need to separate the union anymore, I just convert it to a meshpart and optimize the union before importing it. Meshparts can be stretched or squished, so it’s a nice workaround.

2 Likes

Interesting… yea I only want to resize the union uniformly. I would think because unions respect their proportions that any resizing would automatically adjust the other two size coordinates proportionally (i.e. in the example you gave, If X,Y,Z = 1,1,1 and I change Y=2, X and Z would adjust to 2) but sadly this doesn’t happen. I guess I’ll have to use the workaround you suggested, thanks again.

1 Like

If possible, it might be easier to convert the UnionOperation to a MeshPart. Select the UnionOperation, right click it in Explorer, press Export Selection and then create a MeshPart and import it via Properties.

If you’re going to go through with this though, odds are Roblox created unnecessary triangles and faces, it might be in your game performances best interest to create this object in Blender then import it.

Coming back here to say while soupbuilds was correct, I did in fact find it easier to work with MeshPart as I can scale the shape via script as I expected Unions to work.

I also created the the objects in Blender as suggested. I’m marking this as the better solution to solve the above problem, thanks!