Consistently getting low FPS in Studio but 60fps in Roblox player

So this is something I’ve been struggling with for a while. My laptop has a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card (MSI GS65) and I can run any game on max settings with no problems. Roblox player runs at 60 fps with no isses as well.

But when I go to use Studio, I am only getting 50-60 fps in edit mode and around 30 fps in play solo. I have tried updating my drivers and no luck. This happens no matter what place I open (including baseplates).

This is what my microprofiler looks like and including the FPS.

Here is my dump

8 Likes

Does it still happen if all plugins are disabled and you disable VSync on your graphics card for Studio?

Turned vSync off and now Edit mode is at 60fps but play solo is still consistently at 30-40 fps.

What my microprofiler looks like going from edit to play solo:

My settings:

1 Like

What happens if you disable VSync globally? Wonder if something wonky is going on where play solo is treated as a different program.

Nothing changed after disabling vSync globally. Restarted computer to verify this as well.

Same laptop lol i corrected it by forcing studio to render in D9

1 Like

Tried forcing into Direct3D9 and studio loads super slowly and at full graphics quality I get 60 fps but my game looks like this

Yes the graphics are complete crap on dx9 like water transparency doesnt render at all. But its the only way i could get back above 40fps lol

I’ve been having this problem myself, the only way I’ve been able to fix it (kinda) without graphics compromises is by enabling Vulkan graphics. I’ve got the same laptop as you, so I think it’s probably either the Max-Q graphics card or the laptop model itself.

1 Like

Can we get a word on this? It makes development super annoying when Studio can’t run at a consistent FPS

@zeuxcg

2 Likes

I was having this issue a couple weeks ago. Try resetting all nvidia control panel preferences back to default and see if it changes anything. If not, check you have HPET disabled in BIOS.

1 Like

I can confirm that the FPS in Studio is much worse than it was in the past. Very low frame rates, lots of stutter.

2 Likes

Same here, I’ve been getting 5-10 less FPS than before, forcing me to lower the editing graphics quality

OMG, I just checked and am getting below 11 FPS in Studio. There must be something going on?

I am running a GTX 780, with 8 Gb of RAM, 2560x1440 with G Sync enabled. In the past, Studio ran fine, but now it is almost unusable. (The Roblox Player runs fine, so it is just Studio that is slow).

See the screenshot below of the standard baseplate template running in Studio.

1 Like

Have you tried upping the render throttle percentage?

Settings -> Studio -> General -> “Render Throttle Percentage” -> try 100?

No change after experimenting with this feature. Still at 10 FPS in Play Mode.

I should mention that I tried disabling all external plugins, but that did not help either. Still around 10 FPS in Play Mode, and slightly higher in Start Local Server Mode.

Do you have multiple Studio instances open at once? Because they don’t play nice.

Nope this happens with one Studio instance running. EditQuality or the size of the place does not matter. Same FPS all of the time.

As another test, I reset my studio preferences to their default values, but the low FPS problem still occurs.

This happens for a single Studio instance, so it is unrelated to multiple instances.