Console players in inaccessible places?

I’ve recently noticed spikes of console players in inaccessible places within a universe of mine. At first I thought it was a miscalculation, but I eventually ran into a console player while testing some stuff. :grimacing:

Basically I have a universe with physical teleports to a few places that currently have the teleport script disabled.

Is it possible for a console player to somehow abuse that or even connect directly to the place (and they’re not thrown out because they’re on console)?

If that’s not the case, then I was curious as to what the cause would be. I know how to remedy it - by denying access to these places within the actual place. Yet I still don’t know how these players are entering.

Picture of Visits: (computer ones are me)

The last one is what really surprises me, as there were actually no ways the player could’ve accessed the game during that time. There were no teleports, no secret entrances, nothing. Yet somehow three visits.

If it’s not a deliberate exploit, I can only think of three ways the player entered.

• I misused game:GetService(“MarketplaceService”).PromptPurchaseFinished somehow
  • Consoles are somehow able to access places in a universe that need teleportation to get to
  • Somehow someone is activating these disabled teleports in the lobby

I apologize if this isn’t 100% the proper subforum for this, but I do think it’ll be correct once I’m able to figure out how these console players are actually doing this (as in how to fix my script if I’m doing something wrong).

SO BASICALLY…
TL;DR: has anyone else had this issue in the past (or now), and if so, is it a fault of my scripting?

I can supply any relevant code if needed, but I figured this post was already too long and I wanted to seek some dialog first.

How would MarketplaceService affect this?

Also, how long has the teleport script been disabled? (old servers or for some reason not updating servers)

Maybe try doing Ctrl+Shift+F to search through all scripts that perform a teleport to see if there is a case where it’d teleport to that place.

Basically to access 2/3 of these places, you would be teleported in upon successfully buying the GamePass in-game (or by touching a brick and owning the pass). The 3rd place I’m not sure, as it had no way in except a single teleport brick that’s now gone.

All the servers for those games are usually 100% empty/shut-down, so I’m not sure if that’d be the issue.

I’ve already tried looking through the scripts, but I’ll give it another shot. I’m just so confused.

Old servers being not in those games, but your main hub place.

And I think you’d want to look at the gamepass thing again, just to make sure.

1 Like

Main hub has shut down multiple times since then, so unless there’s invisible servers I can’t see that have existed for months, probably not that. D:

Yeah I’m currently looking through all the scripts, I’ll update you if I find anything/nothing.

1 Like

Alright so I don’t know if it’d explain everything, but the only noteworthy thing I see is the fact I use GamePassService to check if the player has the pass, and then MarketPlaceService to urge them to buy it (and teleport them if they buy it).

Are any of these uses incorrect, not-implemented, or deprecated?

(the whole almost gamepass switch then revert threw me for a loop)

edit: even if this is incorrect, i don’t get why it would teleport the player from a disabled script

There have been some problems with GamepassService :

Yup. Either way it seems to work as intended for the available door TPs, but the disabled ones are what the console players are somehow using (or at least seems that way).

I’m still so confused.

1 Like

If you want to check hook up a datastore entry recording when those teleports are used and then shutdown all the servers and check whether that entry goes up when console players visit the game.

Bumping (sorry).
I tried checking the teleports through datastores, but none of the ones were used to teleport to this place… yet…

This is in fact a console visit.

The only thing I can possibly think of is exploiting on console, as the only possible teleport is a disabled teleport pad in ReplicatedStorage.

I finally received this bug report:

Note: I have tried this, it does work. There is a “glitch” where if you join someone on a gamepass world, you can still play as long as there is a server. Maybe add a lobby asking for gamepass BEFORE gameplay.
I did it on dec 15 min to doomsday it works even though I have no pass

I think this user may have found the cause. Putting in prevention methods and marking this as a solution as long as the playtime stops after this.

Not sure if this is intended universe behavior, but either way, I think I know how to stop this.