for key, value in pairs(table) do
     print(key) -- this is i!
end

will write:

key
key2

into the console.

3 Likes

Whats the difference between _, v and i, v?

2 Likes

It’s just different variable naming. _ usually indicates that it isn’t used in the code.

1 Like
1 Like

Can you give me an example of this loop? (Checking children)

1 Like

GetChildren returns a numerically indexed table with the value of each index being the object.

local Children = game.Workspace:GetChildren()

for Index, Child in ipairs(Children) do
        if  Child.Name == "Baseplate" then
        print(Index)
        end
end
1 Like

I understand your issues and I also understand how frustrating it is to try and understand a concept whilst complicated language is being used even though these are very precise and carefully formulated responses by incredible people, way above my skill level. That being said, I will try to explain it in the simplest way possible without using too much technical language.

essentially, if you know what a for loop is in any programming language, it is a built-in loop that has specific conditions that need to be met for it to run with a specified set amount of times it will loop. In the case of for i,v in pairs, it is a built-in loop by Roblox.

What the for loop literally does is take a Table as an input in the pairs() and it loops over each position (The i means an index or the position of a value in a table) whilst also getting the value of the object in the position. This loop will end as soon as it goes over the last object in the Table and executes whatever code you have in the loop.

Here is an extremely simple bit of code that uses for i,v:

local WorkCont = game.Workspace:GetChildren() --puts everything in the workspace into a table

for i,v in pairs(WorkCont) do --Input the table we just created into this loop

if v:IsA("Part") then --Check if the current object is a part

v.Size *= 3 --Multiply the Part by 3

end

end

This code will eventually go through every object in the workspace and multiply its size by 3.

The reason why this loop is so integral in so much code is because it returns a value for each indexed position which allows for things such as error correction, cleanup, easy linear searching, etc.

A few potentially applicable examples of this are:

• Scanning a player’s inventory to see if they have a certain item to allow them to enter a dungeon door

• Creating a character customisation menu that changes the skin colour of a character uniformly

• Creating Environmental particle interactions

These are just some of the ways that you can apply this loop, but it has an infinite amount of use cases, you just need to be creative and see where it fits into your game. Some games may not even use it but nonetheless, it is a great tool to have in your toolkit when scripting.

I hope I haven’t made too many errors in this post, it is my first time posting on DevForums. Please correct any of my mistakes.

Ok so if your working with tables and you would like to sort them into a certain order via how many items that there is inside of the table aka indexed from the first item that has been added to the list to the last that would explain the key and item

Ex:
Table = { item_1,item_2,item_3}

—////////this is just to index to get a key out of the table\\\\
For indexed = 1,3,1 do
NewTabelValue = [indexed]
–///////// THE LINES ABOVE ARE GOING TO RETRIEVE THE INDEXED VALUE NOT THE VALUE ITSELF\\\\\\\\

Task.wait(0.012)
End
----/////////////\\\\\

–///////////////////THE LINES BELOW ARE GOING TO SORT THE ITEMS THREW A METHOD WITCH WOULD BE THE VALUE STORED UNDER (V) AND THE KEY WITCH IN THIS CASE WOULD BE W\\\\\\\\\\
do if W, V in Ipairs(Table) do
Print(V)–/////// this value is going to print out the value \\stored inside of the actual variable witch is stored memory \\\
Peint(W)–////// This value is going to be an active value Aka the value of the item in table \\

Task.wait(0.012)
End

Hello gggman0123, Kindly, I ask, what the hell is this garbage? Thank you.

2 Likes

Uhm
Find this button please