Create Experiences for People 17 and Older on Roblox

I mean couldn’t this be a solution or step in the right direction

5 Likes

Yes, that could be a good idea, but if for whatever reason the parent of the child wanted to verify there age, so they could do something that would be a problem, also they should have never made it so <13 users can see the “Verify my age” button

2 Likes

Wait, last thing, where do I find these 17+ games, I search 17+ in discovery but can’t see them, yet got a verfied 18+ account. am I like searching the wrong things, how can you even find these games so quickly, I’m having difficulty even searching for them as it stands.

2 Likes

You cannot make 17+ games just yet, you have to wait till Roblox sends out another announcement on when you can start making 17+ assets, so that is why.

3 Likes

We get that part, we want to learn why. Which local law or regulation in Turkey doesn’t allow 17+ experiences?
The only law associated with this change could be the Internet Law (Law No. 5651). However, I couldn’t see any contradictions, as we require a government ID for age verification. So, I don’t understand why it wouldn’t comply with the provisions of Turkey’s Internet Law.

I’d still like to know ROBLOX’s reasoning behind this limitation. @Sorcus

2 Likes

Can some1 lmk if this means I can reupload my popular half russian roulette game from 4 years ago

11 Likes

I think some users (including myself) are concerned about this possibility since they do not trust Roblox, nor Veriff. There are a couple of major issues that raise doubt for me.

1. Roblox contradicted themselves upon initial release. In the initial release blog post, Roblox implied that they will not store your ID at all after the process is done. However, later on after people started verifying their IDs, they released their biometric privacy notice (as discussed in this post, which confirms my memory that the notice came after people had already verified their IDs), which said that your ID will be stored for 90 days (or up to 180 if required). I can respect the transparency, but what I can’t respect is the fact that they first implied it wouldn’t be stored at all, but backtracked and said that they actually do store it, however temporarily. Even if this is required or typical, I can’t help but feel lied to since it took them several weeks to provide this additional information. It doesn’t help my trust.

2. Some people have said that Roblox uses ID verification as a guard against duplicate accounts, since alledgedly you can’t use the same ID twice. This also makes me concerned, since the only way I can think of to enforce such a rule is to store your ID (or its information) indefinetely. Now, I accept the possibility that maybe you can use an ID twice after the 90 day period expires (as I seem to remember being reported, though I don’t have the post on hand). But at that point, why ID verification? It just verifies your age, which doesn’t seem worth it.

I think a warning for age-restricted content is more than enough, since it’s the child’s fault if they deliberately ignore that. I also think it’s a worrying precedent to set that it’s acceptable to require real, physical ID in order to play a game.

10 Likes

This is probably for the few people who wanted to make dating simulators on roblox lol

Obviously, no descriptions of sex, we are probably better off not allowing erotica, but what about topics that don’t talk about sex explicitly?

Like, a female character talking about her pregnancy, or if a developer wants to make a game that talks about their experience with sexual harassment, would that be also considered “Content that depicts, strongly suggests, or explicitly describes sexual acts”?

This is the best metaphor to an overprotecting parent when their child grows to be an adult. I get that the system you use for ID verifications are somewhat private (90 days until deletion from veriff + roblox themselves cannot ever read the information); but you must understand: people are generally less comfortable sharing their ID to a gaming platform in any context. Think about how the demographic responds to this, and more importantly on an unrelated note, how you are calculating this demographic for your payout-deficient developers.

Your regulation of what content people can see in your game game is not an issue solely at your hand, it is the parent’s choice as well. You are already doing enough to make sure everyone is safe, but in certain aspects, you’re also inducing less autonomy for everyone in the name of this safety. You are preventing an issue while introducing a new one. So can you elaborate on what possibilities are being considered for this problem?

8 Likes

If i overexaggerated with my game being 17+ for the first time why can’t i have a second chance to change it to being 13+

3 Likes

You should change ‘Turkey’ to ’ Türkiye’ because they changed their name.

4 Likes

Though there will be kids on the platform with their parent’s verified ID, I personally don’t like this update because before Roblox was for kids and now they’re allowing 17+ content to bring more mature audiences.

3 Likes

“This experience currently has an age recommendation of “Ages 17+” and cannot be changed to a different age recommendation.”

Now my game has to be 17 plus because I’m not making a new one
edit: i made a new one

2 Likes

And what about the players and their experiences that have been affected by the previous strict moderation unknowingly now that 17+ experiences are allowed?

1 Like

Romantic Themes? ROMANTIC THEMES?! WHAT THE EVERLOVING HELL ROBLOX?!

2 Likes

OMG! I love this update thank you Roblox <3

I don’t personally believe romantic content should be a feature either way, it is a good thing that we are expanding the playerbase, however, does romantic content really belong on Roblox?

2 Likes

Then you just wouldn’t be allowed to set the game to 17+.
In order to make a 17+ game, you need to verify your age yourself.

This is why I will no longer be using ROBLOX to develop my games & explore my possibilities. I do not want to be limited from my imagination by “rules” and “guidelines”. I want to create whatever I want to explore. As well as, I don’t want to submit my ID to a platform that has been known to have many Moderation issues.

9 Likes

Not disagreeing at all. I think originally when I started writing my response I thought you were disagreeing with requiring an ID but I figured it out re-reading it. Sorry if I didn’t correct it enough, in my defense, my ADHD is really strong. :laughing:

Anyway, yeah, it is entirely unfounded and I honestly think many of them don’t really have honest motivations behind their fears.

Regardless though, their fear is irrelevant though. Roblox has to do it and their fears will never mean more to Roblox than money or obeying the law,

So they can cry, spout their paranoia or do whatever, it won’t make a difference in anything because those people clearly have no clue how Roblox as a corporation works. I think they’ve been given their way so often that they forget that corporations have things bigger than their feelings to worry about like laws, regulatory organizations, and making a profit for shareholders.

Though I think they’re awful at communication. As a developer on this platform, I’d give Roblox a solid F- for communication. 0 stars, would not recommend it, and had I known before becoming so invested, not be something I’d have started.

I do find it hilarious that they rolled out Creating Experiences for 17+ without rolling out the changes to moderation just like they did with PBR textures. That was so predictable it’s sadly amusing.

I wouldn’t touch 17+ development with someone else’s account. It’s going to be so long before that’s remotely safe if ever at all.

1 Like