Create Experiences for People 17 and Older on Roblox

It’s to protect younger players from 17+ content, and to avoid lawsuits from parents claiming that Roblox didn’t do anything to protect their kids.

42 Likes

I suppose it’s not quite the core point of this particular thread, but I might as well ask: Do sufficiently old accounts automatically get moved into different age groups? I created my account more than 13 years ago and absolutely should have access to that at the minimum, but due to COVID-induced backlog of all levels of government in my area I do not actually have any up to date legal ID at the moment (they waive off expired licenses, but that doesn’t mean Roblox knows to also do so)

…Not like I’d want to actually give Roblox my ID or face for that in the first place, but it’d be good to know.

34 Likes

Definitely something we needed for a while, only thing i take issue with is uploading my government ID online, doesn’t matter where it is.
Knowing things I know, id be afraid of it being used for other means down the road.
Like @Alex645ca said i made my account back in 2012 and I have it over 13 set to my age, im in my mid 20s now, will there be exemptions, i also have my account verified by email and my cellphone number.

That said im glad roblox is starting to age up a bit, as someone in my 20s with an interest still in roblox games it is hard to find something that appeals. Not only that but now opens up more options for me if i do break down and do the id thing (highly prefer not to) for my game idea to not have to be toned down from my original ideas.

This being combat and other related things, before I was trying to think of ways i could have it so kids wpuld enjoy it too but still appealing to not only myself but other players like me

40 Likes

Is there an ETA until we are allowed to create 17+ assets? Currently this just seems like an age gate

37 Likes

This is still very restrictive. I’m not complaining, but I’m asking for a clarification on what is and is not allowed. For example:

17+ Experiences may contain non-sexual expressions of love and affection, and may reference romantic themes and topics. However, we prohibit content that depicts sexual activity or seeks real-world romantic relationships, including:

Romantic or flirtatious gestures or communication between users in a romantic context

This is quite unclear, does this mean that the gameplay loop cannot include players doing this with eachother, or does it mean that NPCs/cutscenes cannot include this.

In terms of the restriction, what is considered 17+ is quite low. I see nothing that points to the promised chat filter decrease for 17+ users, nor allowing topics that are actually “mature”. Best example is here:

17+ experiences may include depictions of, or references to, bodily functions such as belching, flatulence, vomiting, urinating, and/or defecation for comical purposes. Real-world depictions of these bodily functions are prohibited.

Does this make a game like this 17+?

This does not remind me of a 17+ game, but the guidelines suggest it is. To me, this is a children’s game.

tl;dr these 17+ guidelines are surprisingly restrictive

EDIT

Wait, so how can you do something like realistic deceptions of blood or violence if the content will still get moderated at 13+ standards? That doesn’t make sense. The examples provided do not scream “realistic” to me.

72 Likes

it’ll only be limited for people who are incompetent at marketing and those who don’t have the ability to think outside of the box lol

29 Likes

I believe a bigger concern would be children tricking their parents into using their selfies and identification, rather than the issue of fake IDs as most people attempting to verify their age through a fake ID usually fail.

34 Likes

Yes, that is the same concern I have too. The child using the parents ID without permission

31 Likes

Yeah I intended to say that. I’ve edited my original message. Thanks for pointing that out.

27 Likes

Being terminated solely because someone reported me for breaking the rules on voice chat without any investigation on whether it’s true or without looking at the context horrifies me and is a huge flaw in Moderation. That’s why I’ve disabled my voice chat until I see this issue being fixed.

29 Likes

We absolutely NEED policyservice APIs in order to allow games to scale content based on a user’s age: I want to support all ages but also allow more mature content for those old enough to see it.

35 Likes

Pretty sure its never been allowed so you probably shouldn’t have started in the first place.

21 Likes

Can I be honest? I’m not entirely sure whether I like the fact that it’s age verified.

I get that it’s to protect people, but if Roblox wants to be taken seriously, we need to note that online marketplaces such as Steam, Epic Games, PlayStation Store and Nintendo eShop do not require any sort of age-verification to download a 16 or 18 rated games (please note that it is required in a physical store by law). Roblox is going to stand out as the odd one out by requiring age verification for 17+ games.

33 Likes

Plain and simple, Parents are responsible for what their child is doing, if someone who is below the age of 17 uses their parents ID then that’s the parents fault. It’s no different than the age old yoinking their parents credit card. I’d be more worried about them yoinking ID’s for other platforms than I’d be worried about it for Roblox, imo.

23 Likes

Finally! I’ve always wanted to make more serious stories on Roblox.

If this is done right then this will be great.

16 Likes

Great, that’s about 80% of your users gone right there, understandable though.

I hope you are talking about racial slurs and stuff, because normal swear words that people use every day should be allowed, and not just for 17+, like the S word (crap but more mature)

Not sure what to think of this, it seems quite useless if you aren’t verified, and many people do NOT LIKE TO SHARE PRIVATE DATA.

PS: Allow light swear words for 13+ users, for christ’s sake.

30 Likes

How many parents are going to go along with their children saying “hey mom/dad I need to upload your ID and selfie to Roblox for– reasons”?

I really hope the number is as low as I assume.

23 Likes

Roblox needs this kind of verification because of it is accessibility or any kid could download Roblox and a few bad searches later end up in a 17+ game.

16 Likes

Yes, I think we all would, but because we all know how Roblox moderation is there are some games that have stuff that is pretty bad for a child to be seeing just like on the other platforms

15 Likes

Really interesting to see how ROBLOX is now expanding into older age demographics, acknowledging their presence somewhat. Hope to see that experiences utilize this appropriately and effectively.

13 Likes