Create Experiences for People 17 and Older on Roblox

Even more bizarre because I’m pretty sure Roblox has published bundles that literally would violate this moderation ruling following that logic.

7 Likes

I’m in the 38% but you won’t be able to market to me. I imagine the number may be in the 32% margin at reasonable or depending optimistic expectation. Maybe it could be lower or less, I can’t accurately say if there’s many like me who wouldn’t trust a website with a holding and disclosure policy that isn’t to be trusted. Hard to tell spot on until ROBLOX releases the real figures for 17+ accounts ‘verified’ and ‘unverified’ instead of combining the two because the first bracket’s figures will be your market.

8 Likes

But you brought it up lol

Do you know how many discord servers there are that quickly create the WORST of games and have other random kids along with the whole discord server join them for a few hours before they get taken down.

4 Likes

I will never understand why Roblox is moderating female characters with bumps on chest. Roblox sat this is “sexual content” but basically all children see this everyday in real life so why this should be banned.

Roblox should be aware that it will lose popularity if they moderators keep banning players and games for absurd reasons.

5 Likes

Product and moderation are still leaving us with a deafening silence on a lot of concerns here. I really hope that they are currently preparing a deeper response with all the concerns taken into account and are planning to release it. I personally do not know why neither team is able to make the same level of communication effort as engineering, even to clarify some really small issues.

I went from excited to upset and now I am entirely unwilling to develop 17+ experiences in any capacity until Roblox sorts out this communication problem, rolls everything out fully and ensures that we will not be subject to hair trigger moderation. This is an unacceptable and haphazard release of a feature and the lack of respect to us shows. The thread, as one of my developer circles even notes, encourages circumventing moderation to create 17+ assets in the interim.

I have never been so crudely disappointed in a content catering update since the removal of genres.

10 Likes

Cannot wait for this update, hopefully it allows some more cooler games to be made with this more freedom even if it may seem not much.

2 Likes

Will romantic content and responsible usage of alcohol still be 17+ in the future, so that I can make a 17+ Roblox game that is still relatively PG-rated? (I plan to make a Roblox game that’s rated 17+ on the platform to embrace this change, but my main audience is kids and teenagers.)

4 Likes

I don’t know, but it shouldn’t be 17+
In my opinion 17+ should be lowered to 15+ if players have to be ID verified because min age really depend of persons.
By example a 10+ film could scare a 10 year ols child but not scare another 8 year old child.

3 Likes

It really is. I think the romantic themes should only apply to those age filters if its one of those dating games like the graphic novel type games. I feel like romantic themes should be 13+ or 10+

5 Likes

I also raised the point of Roblox uploading bundles themselves that, by their logic, would be considered “sexual content” (my point being that it’s an absolute reach on Roblox moderation’s part).

7 Likes

Rating game as +17 is too much, there are moderation for “sexual content” that are even not sexual and now Roblox is putting min age for no reasons!?

I tried to refresh the page but there’s still no precisions about why it’s 9+. I visited other games main page and the min age work properly so is this an error from the moderator or was this made on purpose?

4 Likes

That’s what I’m sensing. As well as potential misogyny, like NoobFragged pointed out. Or more just marketplace items such as classic clothing potentially being glossed over compared to developer assets like models, meshes, decals, and textures (it’s certainly speculation but might explain why innocuous developer assets get moderated constantly compared to what seems like bypassed clothing assets getting by with not that much issue).

8 Likes

that’s sad I’ve met a lot of nice people from these countries :frowning:
hopefully none of the games I usually play are changed to 17+

7 Likes

Restaurant tycoon has this? and its not even that bad.

5 Likes

I could be completely out of the ballpark with this one, but…
Why can’t Roblox just I dunno… make another game platform? Like just copy-paste all of Roblox, minus the child safety features, and make it specifically for the 17+ audience. This would solve most of the issues if done properly. For example
I believe the main reason Roblox opted for government ID verification when other platforms do not is because of the large preexisting child population on Roblox. Suddenly allowing 17+ content on an assumed child platform would make them lose the trust of the parents. However, a whole new platform that isn’t for children wouldn’t need this.
Having a new platform would concentrate the player base. Devs wouldn’t have to worry or speculate if their game would be profitable to such unverified statistics. This could also widen your player base to children with more lenient parents who let their kids do whatever on the Internet. It’s their fault for letting their child on a 17+ site.
In regards to potentially romantic content, a warning would be needed on a game-by-game basis. Put them on a rating of 0 to 5. 1 being “There is no romance in this game” and 5 being “This is a dating sim”. The 0 rating could be reserved for devs who don’t want players to have romantic interactions, this could be set with a chat restriction.
Other themes such as violence, gambling, swearing, gore, alcohol, and crude humor could have a similar rating system. (or just use the ESRB ratings)
Having a whole new platform could allow for the support of 17+ assets.

Just my ideas~ Feel free to add!

5 Likes

Indeed, the “powering imagination” is totally a lie, even the most innocent assets that look good can get moderated, and that’s why almost every popular roblox game looks like trash.

and to clarify, roblox’s 17+ is not the standard of the united state’s 17+, it’s more like china or north Korea’s 17+, same similarities, for example how 17-year-olds in china can only get 2 hours of video game time.

7 Likes

I am agree with everything you have said in this post.

I think lost of parents trust is the reason why it’s 17+ instead of a lower age such as 15+ or even 13+ for romance and / or alcohool.

But the age need to lower if it’s ID-Verified.
By example, some 9+ games are actually 7+ for some users but It’s 9+ to avoid scaring young players who never playes violent games before because parents often don’t know which games their child is playing.
Minecraft was rated as PEGI 7 but in Roblox, it would be “9+ Violence (Mild/Frequent)” because of that.

I played Terraria when I was 8 because my friend, who was 8 too, showed it to me. Terraria is rated PEGI 12 but nobody knew about that. I never got scared while playing.

4 Likes

as a turkish person that’s complete nonsense. do you really think people here are dumb enough to not use a vpn? there’s no law, regulation or something like that here to stop us from accessing roblox. why would a country ban blood?

6 Likes

To be honest, I agree with the topic, as I see that is a safe way to separate the games between children and adults.

But in other contrast, It is a bit of disadvantage as children can take advantage of their parents IDs to verify themselves as 17+ and access to blood/gore content and such.

But at the end, it is a good thing to do.

4 Likes

I find it weird that nudity is banned because well…

I’ve seen Attack on Titan (the anime) being recreated in Roblox.
And the giants/titans do not wear any clothes whatsoever, but they also do not have any human anatomy and are mostly blocky in shapes so there is nothing shocking or “not safe for work” to see per se and I personally think that that should be fine.

The “no nudity allowed” rule is very vague.

And I know that in some survival games that simulate surviving in nature / prehistoric times, the character might start off without any clothes or protection (but of course no anatomy visible, just skin).

Maybe you want to simulate temperature and hypothermia so having a clothing system really helps with the immersion and realism there imo.
Just don’t show the anatomical parts or don’t model them on the avatar, very simple.

Roblox sometimes allows it and sometimes doesn’t, the rules and boundaries on what is and isn’t allowed is VERY vague and I think context also matters a lot.

Feel like Roblox should work on that more and clarify the rules a bit more so developers don’t have to walk on egg shells.

7 Likes