Creating a floor building system

No there is not but you can do it I think let me check the script.

I’m not on my comp so i can’t really do any looking myself, but ye was just curious. Cause I asked a sinilar question to this about a week ago and got no responses for it. I was looking for something like the video he linked

Which if you skip to where they place floors, they place 4 points before the floor is created. I’ve looked into like point set triangulation and all that but ye

I will record a video then for you.

Its possible but need to code a lot.

It is not like changing variable I did not made it like that if you want it to work like that I don’t suggest my script but use it as a template how to make it.

With a bit of rewriting in the code, I managed to create the floor building system that I was looking for!

8 Likes

Hey there! What you’ve made looks very cool, and if you don’t intend for this code to work for any more than four points, please just tell me to move along haha. If you want to use more than 4 bullet points and generate a complex shape, there’s a technique in 3D Graphics called Polygon Triangulation.

It’ll allow you to generate points for more complex structures, if indeed that’s what you’re after. If it is something you’re interested in, lmk and I’d be happy to assist. Otherwise, good luck developing. :smiley:

1 Like

Already figured it out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Oooh nice! do you mind me asking what approach you’re using? I’m curious to know!

I can’t tell from eye, but does it allow you to create a concave shape? It looks like it’s generating all these triangles from the centre. Also, do parts ever overlap if you create a concave shape? Sorry for all the questions haha, I’m just interested :slight_smile:

Yup, each triangle is made from the first point as well as the last two points placed. Although it does have some issues in certain circumstances such as overlapping triangles, as you’ve mentioned.

1 Like

Ahh okay ^^

If you ever want to change that, I’d really recommend looking into the triangulation I mentioned. It’s really awesome

1 Like

Will be sure to let you know!
Gonna take a while though ahaha

1 Like

Take a look at this? ^^

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/polygon-triangulation/274898

If this is what you were looking for I’m happy to open source it. Keep up the cool developing work! :smiley:

1 Like

How were you able to do that :disappointed_relieved: I managed to get the triangles working, but can’t do more than 4 points :frowning:

Can u teach me how to do like that, I still confuse. :sweat_smile:

I’m very sorry to be notifying you all about a 2-year-old topic, but if you still have to code to this can I see it? It looks very cool and I want to learn more about triangulation

1 Like

Hello,
How did you make grid in your video? I tryed to make grid too but it black but my grid is white.

My grid:

Thanks for any help

Change the Color3 value to (0,0,0)

1 Like

I have color set to 255,255,255

and my grid image:

Sorry for bumping this post, considering it’s so old, but does anyone have any ideas for collision detection with the floor?

Example: if I start placing a floor I am able to cross over the edges of itself.

It’s there a good way to detect when that happens and then I could connect that to my failed placement function?