Creating a hole in an object without having to make a bunch of small parts

I am trying to create a hole in a brick for an example. How do you create a hole in a brick without having to break down the brick, and create a bunch of small parts to make a circle? I know there is a way but I can’t figure it out, anyone can help, please?

11 Likes

CSG a cylinder or a sphere into it?

Cylinder.

You got it then?

I’m new to this, so, you gotta break it down like pre-k. What’s “CSG” and I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I’d link you to the article, but it appears to not have migrated to the new DevHub. Solid modeling (CSG) is used to combine bricks and cut holes in them. The 3 buttons in studio labeled Union, Negate, and Separate are for solid modelling. Here’s an old yet still valid tutorial on the Roblox YouTube channel:

12 Likes

Plus the In-Game API has been released, so you can now create CSG during run-time.

1 Like

This is EXACTLY what I needed ! Thank you so much, you just saved me a hassle!

2 Likes

I’ll warn you though, CSG doesn’t have the best physics accuracy, especially with small cuts in relatively large objects. I suggest you use CloneTrooper1019’s plugin to show decomposition geometry, so you can see how other objects will interact physically with your CSGs.

1 Like

Alright I will thank you!

1 Like

yea unioning is the best way to do it

You have three options.

Option One: is to make a lot of tiny parts, you can do this with normal parts or wedges if you don’t want z-fighting.

Option Two: you can use “Roblox Unions” also known as “CSG”. You can do this by negating a part (This function can be found on the ribbon under model) and then unioning it with the part you want the whole in.

Option Three: You can make a 3D mesh in an external program like Blender or Cinema 4d and then import that as a “meshpart” to roblox.

4 Likes

I’ll stick to option 2 thanks ! lol

2 Likes

I need help with this. Here is my post:

What I basically need is to make a trench using a script in my game that players can fall into. But the thing with negate is that it does not always allow objects to pass through negated parts. They still act like the original part so it won’t work if I use negate for the trench because i need the players to be able to fall into it. Suppose I have a baseplate. How do I create a trench with jagged sides in it via script? Thank you so much!