Creating Realistic Lava w/ BUOYANCY!

Disclaimer

This relies on Color3 not being capped, and you cannot use water for anything else while this is active!

After a conversation with @boatbomber on Twitter recently, I decided to write a tutorial on how to get lava that looks like this:

Complete with under surface fog!

So how do we do this? Well, it’s quite simple to perform using this method, but it’s very hacky and could very well break in the future (refer to the disclaimer if you haven’t read it already!)

Anyways, let’s continue on to the tutorial.

Firstly, you’ll need to go to the Terrain editor, click on “Edit” and then select the “Add” tool. Set the material to “Water” and Shape to “Cube” and then create a cube or rectangle as large as you want:

Next, you’ll want to go to Workspace in the Explorer, find “Terrain” and then edit the water properties likeso:

Your water should look like this now:

Next, you’ll want to create a very thin part with it’s CanCollide property set to false and place it on top of the water you have created, likeso:

Next, find a lava texture of your choosing and place it on the part you just created

Don’t modify the texture’s properties, unless you want to change it’s surface color!

Next, insert a SurfaceLight into the part you created and set it’s properties to this:

Your lava should now look like this:

Next, add parts if there are none around the lava.
Now, you’ll have a swimming pool in this case, or an entire lava lake!
It’s your choice! (Not responsible for any fourth-degree burns!)

How it looks underneath:

I hope this tutorial helps you in completing builds that have a Molten Metal, Hell, or Volcanic theme to it!

52 Likes

I like it. You could animate the light to make it look more realistic. You could also add some fog to the water and add molten lava on the bottom using terrain to make it even more realistic.

1 Like

Thank you! Here’s my results using Granite:
I made the floor surface white, to be extra reflective and look like underwater (or lava I guess) surface refraction

I used water transparency = 1.

7 Likes

Wow, a hot tutorial I must say!

But I have a question: How did the water turn orange and neon when setting the properties of the terrain in the workspace like that? Is it the color?

1 Like

It’s due to the way the tonemapper was implemented. Colors are uncapped, and if they’re set to be higher than 255, 255, 255, they tend to have a glow.

It works for baseparts, decals, and textures.

You can read up on this on my previous tutorial:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! I’ll probably use this soon in studio.

1 Like

you can also use advance beams to make more realistic lava with water

1 Like

can you give me that id of that texture?

2 Likes