CreativeOS | The first available OS API

Would you want to look at v0.1.5 and let us know what you think? We have redone the UI and most of the scripts to try and simplify things.

Thanks!

Build mode is coming in 0.2.0?

2 Likes

There’s definitely an improvement.

My suggestion would be to move this to GitHub, that way people can directly contribute.

2 Likes

Still looks the same on the front-end except for some small visual changes, does your framework come with an API? From looking at your scripts, this is just a simple, customized phone system that I don’t think would benefit any developer.

The OS module does not have any important functions or values whatsoever, looks like it’s just a config module for the apps.

Apps don’t have a proper system as well, looking at it, it’s just a bunch of handler scripts on the server, and every app function on the client is handled very differently.

In conclusion, it’s hard to add a custom app and remove an existing app, the UI design is not very good, basically a customized phone system that will hardly benefit any developers, I’m not even sure about the performance.

Now, how you can make this better in my opinion is to rework the entire system by switching to a modular system instead of this, create APIs and functions to allow developers to easily add custom apps and remove existing ones, and design a better UI, or allow developers to easily make their own front-end and connect it to the framework.

3 Likes

I think OP is overshooting a bit.

You’re missing the point a bit. You should be focusing on improving the phones UI, not adding unnecessary apps that have a 90% chance of failing. Not sure what the “Web browser app” is going to do.

EDIT: Looked at the source code, yeah this is great for performance.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for your feedback. Again, this is in an early stage and has hundreds of knots to untie. Part of this would be making it as easy as possible for other developers to customize this to their choosing. To my knowledge, there is currently no other kind of model like this that has the same purpose as mine. Correct me if I am wrong please. That being said, would you be able to give a more detailed explanation on what you mean by an API? I kind of understand what.your getting at, but have no idea where to start with this. Thank you again for your feedback.

1: Thanks again for your continued feedback.

2: We don’t think any of our apps will “fail” necessarily, however they may be less used.

3: UI improvements are on the way. We are working on a system that will allow the developer to choose an existing UI design, or create their own.

4: When talking about performance, do you mean this in a positive way, or a negative way? If negative, how so? What can we improve?

Thanks!

All opinions are mine, and you can choose to incorporate them or not.

A web browser isn’t going to work on ROBLOX, unless if you implement some custom websites, which would be better in an app. Even if you do somehow make browsing on ROBLOX, it will be less convenient for the user to just search it up on Google. It will fail.

Also, the App Store app isn’t needed, it’s overengineered for a simple phone. It also will destroy the use for this in games- a roleplay game won’t want someone downloading an app designed for something else. Also, assuming that there won’t be too many apps made for this, there isn’t a point of downloading, and users would prefer lazy loading, but giving them the choice of all available apps.

The usage of this app won’t increase more with more apps- instead you should leave the app making 100% to the developer.

Sorry, but it doesn’t seem like the UI is improving. I still stand by my previous suggestion of allowing contributions (preferably through github), that way you won’t have to juggle between 10 different hats. It’s also just a standard part of open-source. I’d be happy to contribute to this project.

To finish it off, you’re trying to make this something that it’s not. I love your ambition and hard work towards this project- however I think you should scale it down and make it something actually useful to developers.

4 Likes

It’s not going on GitHub. Apps are going to work. We are still staying with the original schedule. Thanks for your help, although we only want to continue to improve this.

Sorry for any confusion, abruptness, and rudeness.

With the mention of unused/unnecessary apps, we will be removing the web browser app, per request and because of difficulty, and the app store, which has proved itself to be useless. The music app is here to stay. We will be including a separate module with all of the links, names, and asset ID’s (which will be editable) when the next update rolls out.

Third, to @TheRealANDRO, thank you, especially for helping us see where our mistakes were and what needs to really be changed with our “configuration module” as opposed to a true API and OS system.

Fourth, I would like to step back and re-emphasize our core values for this project. When starting, there wasn’t really a big idea in mind. The goal was to “make it work”. We did that. Feedback supported that the “make it work” didn’t really work. We rewrote the whole system again and updated it with 0.1.5 the VERY NEXT DAY from when 0.1.0 came out. (That was a long day) We have since only tried to improve the system, although it has been difficult to try and make it as seamless and inclusive as possible. Our first thought on open-source was to have a model. Developers would download the model and change it to their liking. There was no plan to have it be “open-source” in the way other people describe it. There still is no plan to have it like that. We want ease of access for developers wishing to access the code and add our project to their game. We love it when things like that happen. We don’t want or need contributors for this project, and we aren’t looking for any. We are looking for support, if given, on things that we can improve from update to update. I have changed my mind twice now. First, I chose to make a repository, then I chose not to because 1: It involves a lot of extra work, and 2: because that’s not really what we want.

We want some options for developers that don’t want to write a whole thing from scratch. This is designed to be updated over the course of years, not all at once. Sorry if that was unclear. We would love options like:

• Plug-n-play
  • DIY/Create-your-own
  • Select-what-you-want

Thank you to everyone who has replied with support and suggestions. We appreciate every one of you for your time and effort in helping this grow.

Thanks!
~ Fittergem1000 from CStudio

2 Likes

First, I would take step back and look at what you’re doing and see what other people are doing. While I do not personally see the use for this, some people may – however, trying to over-complicate something like this by adding things like internet searching, and app stores is not going to get people to use it.

Allow me to break some things down for you.

Simply, this is (almost) impossible, and especially for a single person to do. You’ll have to write a way to parse, execute, and deal with all the intricacies of HTML, CSS, and Javascript, find a way to upload images/videos.etc to show them on your phone. This project alone is a massive undertaking which isn’t a easy task. Not to mention, it would be insanely slow with Roblox Lua.

Browsers still have a hard time keeping up to spec, just look at "HTML" | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc so many things are not supported across browsers. Sure, you can display simple HTML, but making functional websites… going to be almost impossible. And will require external resources to get things like websockets, images, and videos into games.

Would be cool if it could link to things like Spotify, or Apple Music – but once again, people will use their own. It’d be cool to make song requests in-game using Audios, but outside of that doesn’t make sense.

Start small, and grow over time. And please, if you want to call this “open source” get a Github and allow people to contribute.

4 Likes

then how can I SEE THE CODE AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE MODULE (you need a github repo to call it “open source”)???

2 Likes

Calling this an early-stage product is very worrying. You don’t even have a proper base system set. As I said, you must rewrite the whole system to make this a decent product.

Yes, your model is the first public phone system, but that doesn’t mean it’s decent.

You can create a modular system with methods that handles how the OS works, for example, you can look at Roblox’s chat system. There’s a main module that handles calling other modules and the main things such as starting up the system and connecting the events.

While I haven’t deeply analyzed the performance of the system, from looking at the scripts with unnecessary loops and checks, I cannot say it will have a good performance.

Now someone explained this very well already, but adding a web browser app is almost impossible, unnecessary, and would be very performance-consuming.

App Store sounds like a good idea at first, but when you actually think about it, you can easily realize that it’s completely unnecessary as well since developers are mostly going to include their custom apps. Plus, it’s also very hard to do in this system since you would have to put a handler script on the server for every app installed(which if there are a lot of apps in the app store, would slow down the server), and add a new app frame on the client.

Lastly, not wanting to publish this project to a GitHub repo for others to contribute is a bad idea IMO, do you not want people to change anything about your project or you just don’t even know how to setup a github repo?

2 Likes

By downloading the model on Roblox and looking at the code (or using an extension that lets you view it in Google Chrome). You don’t need a GitHub repo to call something open-source. That is 100% false, I’m not sure where you are getting that from.

OP is doing the minimum by uploading the resource to Roblox for download and review. If the minimum was not sufficient, it wouldn’t be the minimum. By not putting it on GitHub, OP is of course losing the benefits of that, but that’s their choice to make.

It’s undeserved for you to be yelling at them for that, as if there is an expectation that OP has to make their resource in a certain way that is digestible to everyone on the forum. If you’re that passionate about it being on GitHub, message OP privately and offer to put it on GitHub yourself and create a shared repo. If you’re not willing to expend that much energy, I see no reason why you’re blasting OP in caps on their resource thread as if they’ve committed code sacrilege.

4 Likes

It does not have to be on GitHub, you are right about that, however there should be a way to contribute to this if they want to call this open-source.

I also see no reason why you continue to try to see some silver lining in this project. I’m starting to think that this project isn’t meant to contribute to the community, but more to build their brand as “CStudio.” It’s obvious they’re trying to make it popular within the OSS community by releasing unnecessary features they believe to be impressive. They’re trying to make this something big- but the reality is that it won’t be. The scripts aren’t performant nor organized as a tradeoff; and the UI isn’t the greatest, to say the least. Developers can’t even make their own app.

Sorry if I am being rude, it’s just a pet peeve of mine when people over estimate their project’s value. Whatever OP is trying to do does not lead to productivity, success, or even contribution within a community. They’re making their project worse.

bro just use git with your project :skull:

2 Likes

b- b- but its open source!!! go use ur own git

I mean actually, there is no point in OP using git. They want the code to be readily available for developers to study, but what is there to study? Unoptimised, messy code? They already don’t incorporate any of the feedback given, except for not creating apps (when they already ignored the feedback and found out for themselves it won’t work).

1 Like

I don’t know why you are using an external dependency here when it this should all be developer handled?

1 Like

what if i got banned or im going to another place like a mall or something???

Hello.

Our “brand” CStudio is really just a team. 2 people working on a project that we think could benefit the community with enough effort. As for the silver lining, that is still months, maybe even years away, so don’t get too comfortable calling it:

The hope is that it will be contributing to the community and that at least someone will use it. Right now, it has been updated twice.

Going back to the feedback quote, we have incorporated your feedback and many others’ as well. You said in the very first post:

So we took that and updated the UI. (Although for some reason you still see it as “ugly”…)

We took that and rewrote our whole system, which we are now doing again. (Hopefully the last time… :expressionless:)

In another reply:

We then added all of our events to the main OS_Module. Any developer can now listen for OS.JobChanged.OnClientEvent or something like that.

So we simply removed it from the next update. It hadn’t even been added yet. That was by far the easiest change we’ve made.

That is another thing we are working on. Part of the reason we are rewriting the system is due to the fact that it was uninclusive before and got a little better, but there was still no way to easily call functions from other apps and use them to create apps. So we are currently creating a new system allowing that right now.

– Conclusion –

This seems like a great idea. We just don’t know how to implement it. We would love your help. You, and many others, have great ideas for this project and we are extremely grateful to even be able to get feedback on this.

Lastly, this has been taken off open-source, as according to many others, the way we see it as open-source is much different. While it is still technically “open-source”, we aren’t going to advertise it anymore.

Thank you to everyone who has helped us, and we hope to hear from you all when the next update comes out. This is meant to help developers add a GUI to their game that will have everything they want in one place. This is not only limited to a phone but could be added to many other types of places in the future.

Sincerely,
– Fittergem1000 || CStudio - Team lead

Hey!

We would love to answer this for you!

Essentially, what we have used for our data-saving is mostly up to us. That being said, the developer could change it to whatever they want. The only reason that we used ProfileService is that it’s one of the easiest ways to save player data right now. While yes, developers could write their own saving system, why not use one that’s already made? This allows for easily added values to save by the developer.

The service requires 4 things:

• The ProfileService library module
  • A server-side module script containing a table with values you want to be saved
  • A server-side data script that saves all of the data in the table
  • A server-side manager module that will use the module table to get and store extra data

As I said, super easy to then add your own values to save without writing extra lines of code in your own scripts.

Hope this helps!
– Fittergem1000 || CStudio - Team lead

Hi,

Wow, I’m not the only one making phones in Roblox haha, I’ve tried your model and It’s amazing! The only thing I would change and maybe fix is the Island, it’s kinda clunky, but overall your project is amazing. I even tried to add custom app and it’s very easy:

Here are some changes I would do:

• The messaging app: when sending a message you get notification on the Island yourself which should not be a case.
  • Interface: The icons on the interface looks clunky just like they don’t belong here, try to make one icon format and base it on mono colors for example the background of the icon may be colorful ful if you take look at some icons they are wierd, let me elaborate:
    Take a look at the Settings and Bank icons, the Bank icon is empty inside and the Settings app contains colors not matching other ones (in this case black).
  • Sounds: when the app is opened it makes the sound which don’t fit the project, instead try using something like click sound, it would make the user enjoy the interaction with your phone.
  • Loading when oppening the phone: instead of showing the name of the project for 4 seconds try making it one time, and next time it will not show up.
  • Using the island: I have no idea how to use your island, sorry.

Anyways the project is a masterpiece and I cannot wait for next releases.

Keep the good work up!
~ SG

1 Like