Creator Roadmap - AMA with Nick and Tian [Oct 4, 2023]

Any more plans with highlights? I asked last AMA and didn’t get a response. There’s a limit of 31 highlights and they don’t work on mobile. We really want to use this feature more broadly.

14 Likes

Will we get more control over terrain?

Examples:

• More water properties, such as flow direction.
  • Being able to modify water/grass uniquely from one area to another. (Non-global properties)
  • Ability to edit voxel size. (Including smaller than 4 studs)
11 Likes

Hello again! Thanks for doing another AMA :slight_smile:

Since I just found out about this AMA right now, I’ll post an abridged version of my primary question, which is the same thing I asked dave in-person at RDC (which did not result in a response with any meaningful substance) : When will transparency and communications about the status of programs improve for the better, and what is Roblox actively doing right now to achieve those? Right now, creators have no way of knowing what’s going on with a given program, where it’s heading, or why it’s being shut down, nor can they give any feedback on them. The accelerator, stars, devawards and verified badge programs have all either randomly halted or been axed, typically with radio silence from Roblox on the matter. This leads to a lot of problems and frustration towards Roblox as a company!

I’m super happy to chat about this problem further if it’s desired, my DMs / email are always open. I have a lot of feedback on this matter that simply would not fit in this reply:

14 Likes

Are there any plans for us to get more UI features such as sliders, UI blur, etc?

5 Likes

I realise I was meant to keep to one question per post. Unfortunately I can’t edit my post (why can’t you edit posts in slow mode - the purported reasoning doesn’t make sense if you only present the limitation after the post is written), so I guess I posted three questions. Whoops.

3 Likes

Due to the slowmode I was unable to edit, here’s the post again;

First off, thanks for trying to improve clarity and community communication. I think it’s essential to try and get feedback from everybody, and I’m glad to see if starting to happen more. As for the questions, I only have a few basic ones (mostly relating to UI design):

1. Will we ever be able to expect a native Figma importer solution? Now that VSCode support is being added along with Git, I think something to allow us to make UI in Figma or other tools such as Adobe XD is past due. I’m using a 3rd party plugin at the moment which is half broken, I’d love official support. Along with that, will we see the built in Figma features (such as Blur, both Layer Blur and Background Blur (acrylic) ) imported properly into this as well? The reason we couldn’t get this years ago was due to “performance”. All modern iPhones and most modern Androids use Acrylic material in their home/lockscreens, so there’s no reason that Roblox can’t run it because of performance anymore. Layer blur is useful for menus and images, and background blur is useful for effects such as acrylic blur.

That’s all I have for now, thanks for doing one of these once again.

1 Like

I’m interested in learning more about this upcoming update in particular:

• Community-led Marketplace - Anyone can publish avatar items to the Marketplace (Late 2023)

Have the conditions that must be met in order to publish avatar items to the marketplace been determined and if so, what are they (ex. “Any fee to pay (ex. 750R$) per UGC upload?”, “Active Premium subscription requirement?”, “Asset geometry requirements (ex. vert. tri. etc. limit)?” etc.). I was thinking perhaps the current conditions would change for the public release by tightening or loosening the current upload requirements. Maybe it’ll just stay the same. Would appreciate a clarification.

I’m interested in learning this information so that I am prepared for the update as a Roblox user interested in investing into UGC.

4 Likes

Will there be any new rendering capabilities?

Examples:

• New rendering effects. (e.g. Warping effect.)
  • Custom render effects written in Lua.
  • Render order. (Being able to change the layer that something is rendered on, so it can be in front or behind of other objects.)
  • Masking. (Being able to “cut off” a part of an object, and hopefully UI elements too, without actually cutting it off. Just preventing a masked part from rendering/being visible. There are other uses for masking too.)
6 Likes

Hello hello! I know there are plans to rework groups “from the ground up” and was wondering if you all could provide any more information on what this entails?

I currently am the owner of a group that holds all the experiences I’ve created. I’d like to have more granular control on which developers can interact with the places under the group. Right now I have to give developers access to all the places under the group if for example they want to upload an animation to it. There’s also the issue with distributing group funds, is there plans to add the ability to distribute group funds based on an experience and not the entire group funds?

The overall idea would be to treat groups like organizations, and within these organizations could have “groups” that have finer control over experiences. This prevents having to create a new group per project which in return then allows you to grow a centralized fan base in one organization rather than having them spread apart against a lot of different organizations.

This is an area I have always felt was lacking and am excited to hear if any of these changes are planned or are being implemented!

4 Likes

Not directly related to the announcements made at RDC, but are there any plans to improve on the universal client? Since it’s release 80% of the client is still just a browser pop-up & the performance leaves a lot to be desired.

2 Likes

Hello again,

As of now, the Export Selection in Studio only allows you to export as a .obj file. Will there ever be support to export as other formats, such as .fbx and .glTF?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Will there ever be better tools to debug memory leaks? What we have currently is semi-decent, but I’d love more in-depth tools such as origins or objects that take up a lot of memory.

3 Likes

Will we ever get official support for control over the avatar editor backgrounds and VR home enviroment? Currently it’s unoffically possible by tinkering and swapping the mobile.rbxl and the file responsible for the home enviroment. I gave it a try and it looks pretty cool, the only downside that the skybox outside is theme-colored alongside with a thick fog.

6 Likes

I’m ranking my questions based on priority now, so here’s another:

How much of a priority is it to improve Hyperion to patch more exploits which lead to executors/injectors continuing to work? Right now, even after the 64-bit client, anti cheat is still a high priority because of people using injectors, mainly via the UWP app.

5 Likes

I’ve seen that Roblox is adding a new feature for webcam upper body tracking and has recently launched on the Meta Quest. Will there be any future plans for Roblox to support full body tracking for VR?

1 Like

Actually, the UWP application does have Hyperion inside of it (quite a long time ago). I’m not going into the specifics but currently no exploit executors/injectors are working (from my own knowledge).

Will we ever have API access to AI?

This one is more out there, but I’d figure I’d ask anyway.

Examples:

• AI language model for use in NPCs or story generation, as an example.
  • Live generation of 2D and potentially 3D assets in an active server.
  • With the scripting AI: Use explorer context when generating results. (Reading the explorer data to produce more accurate results.)
1 Like

I have four questions.

1. At RDC and an investor’s call, something was mentioned about clothing designing changing on the platform. Rather than it being done with a flat template and being overlayed as a texture like the current way to do 2D clothing, you would paint a texture over a layered clothing mesh. What exactly does that entail?

2. Will the ability to customize studio icons entirely be possible in the near future? I asked this in the previous AMA but didn’t get an answer.

1. Why can’t we view sales on our assets through the dashboard, and why is the ability to view sales through the API removed?

2. What happened to expanding the UGC program for classic, 2D faces? When UGC was first announced, we were told that this would happen? But based on this statement regarding the release of UGC faces, I am not entirely sure.

3 Likes

first, thanks for the question. to clarify, at any age, you can verify your account using your email address or phone number. for ID verification, we do require users to be 13+, and some features, such as video upload, are currently limited to 13+ users. more about age verification can be found here.

1 Like

Hey EuropoorSimulator!

Thanks for sharing your questions. To ensure we’re engaging with as many creators as possible we ask that everyone keep to one question per message. Can you reduce or consolidate? Thanks so much!

3 Likes