Cross-game chat

Let’s say both games are owned by the same group or the same account.

How would I go about making a chat, or rather a separate UI and making it so it shares the same chat?

2 Likes

Hi there! In order for servers to communicate data in real time, you will want to look at using MessagingService. Take a look! MessagingService | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Hello! You can use messaging service! Check it out here:

Here’s a tutorial!

1 Like

Look at The messaging Service. Ignore my previous Reply.

See the messaging Service here: MessagingService | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

You can, it’s possible using messaging service.

I see, one last question:

How much would it lag?

On that front, you will want to worry about the usage limits listed on the developer documentation. Otherwise you should be fine, unless you have a huge playerbase.

So let me get this straight; this will work with multiple games and servers of those games?

I’m not really sure if you understood what I was asking so let me explain it further;

Player1 is in game1 and Player2 is in game2. Both game1 and game2 share the same chat. Both games are owned by the same group/account

Hope this clears things up and I apologise if I miss-understood.

As far as I’m aware Roblox currently has no way to communicate between multiple games. You can communicate between multiple places in a single game using messaging service, but if you are talking about 2 separate games you would have to find some server outside Roblox that can handle the messages for you.

If the games are within the same universe then MessagingService will be accessible from every game in that universe meaning you can send a message on one game and it will appear in the other. If your games is not in the same universe(e.g: separate games on your profile/group) then Messages wont be accessible between games. To achieve cross game communication for games not in the same universe you need to use HttpService.

A a word of warning you should try to avoid making a cross server chat for any production game because you will hit your MessagingService limits very quickly.

1 Like

I see. Unfortunately there is no way to do this currently. I misunderstood your question. My apologies!

Edit: It is technically possible within the bounds of HttpService, but that would involve a bit of offsite labor and I wouldn’t be one to go for on advice about that.