Crystal scene details needed

I made this for fun but after i finished it it seems to be lack of something, please give some constructive feedback because i want to make it look better,thanks.

1 Like

I think the main thing that bothers me is that the scene feels a bit cluttered, depending on what you’re going for. I think spacing out the blue and red crystals, and even slight variation in color would help to make the space feel more natural.

In order to make the crystals more realistic, change the colour to Blue and the material to Force Field or Glass.

1 Like

I tried using force field but it turns out to be nothing.

To me the scene with the crystals are a bit too close together if you try searching up floating crystal island and you’ll see the crystals aren’t form into what looks almost like a circle there more facing different directions and taking the whole area of land. Maybe change the material, or colour depending on what you’re currently going for?

For the most part I think it’s not that bad, and I like the concept, though there’s just some things that drag it down in terms of looks. If you fix those things, and maybe add some more objects to it, however I can’t suggest none because I don’t know what kind of crystal scene you’re creating and as well try adding some crystal glowing effects to it I’ll leave a thread below to help you.

This is what turns out, it seems like it’s almost invisible, how do i fix this though?

Using the glass material seems to fit well.

2 Likes

Try using the glass material then, as I told before.

Here are a few points that I’d like to address:

Repetition
You have used the same set of crystals and duplicated it to form a circle. Try to add variations to the crystals.
Colors
The colors you used do not match really well. I’m not a fan of the white-colored crystals. The red and blue crystals look too vibrant.
Subject
The scenery does not have a subject. Add something to catch the eye of the player.

Building as a storytelling device

As a builder, you are responsible for setting the mood of the game. Look at the image above. Notice how the colors are used to create a nocturnal and magical night? Colors can invoke certain feelings which could change the atmosphere of the scene.

Also, take note of the subject of the image. See how the scene leads your eyes to the mountain. If I were the player, the first thing I would think of is getting to the peak and appreciate the world beneath it. By putting the things in place, you could direct the player’s next moves.

Get Inspired

Go out there and search for images of the world you are about to build. It would help you understand what makes a “crystal world”. I recommend using Pinterest for getting such things.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, the picture you provided really gave me a clue.

1 Like

As many people have pointed out before, too confined and cluttered.

Also another big issue is the lack of randomness. All those crystals which are teal and orange are just duplicates of each other and that is easy to see. It may be painstaking, but I would recommend that you add an element (not literally) of randomness to the build.

Take this grass for example, all of that grass came from 4 different grass blades, and it looks very random.

Point is simply scaling, rotating and make it look a lot more natural.

1 Like