Ctrl+Shift+h to find and replace in all scripts

Already exists. Ctrl+h in script editor.

5 Likes

Not what I meant. That’s replacing in opened scripts, not selected scripts. CTRL + Shift + H should replace in all scripts that you’ve selected.

1 Like

I think replacing in all scripts is more useful than selected scripts, but that also sounds useful. Maybe it could be bound to something else.

1 Like

Replacing in all scripts is not very flexible. It’ll cause lots of debugging in most cases, whereas replacing in selected scripts makes it more custom and better manageable.

Say you have a lot of scripts that have similar variable usage and certain variables are replaced by, for example, a string. It’ll cause so much debugging if you have many scripts. You can avoid this by making this function only replace selected scripts, so you can limit the amount of debugging it’ll create.

Replace phrase in all scripts

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to replace keywords in all scripts at once, instead you have to open each script and use ctrl + h to replace the keyword.

If this feature was added it’d make changing key words in scripts easier, instead of having to open each script and replacing the word with ctrl + h. This could be used to change a certain string in all the scripts at once.

3 Likes

Not the first post about this.

2 Likes

I remember seeing a post on Twitter about a plugin which allowed you to do this, I can’t remember where though.

2 Likes

Get all the scripts you want to change, then switch out the keyword using a string modifier on Script.Source.

I just wrote this little script. I think it works. It collects all scripts, then runs gsub to match and replace the source. It’s not tested though. Also, I don’t remember if you’re supposed to put the SetWaypoint thing before or after:

game:GetService("ChangeHistoryService"):SetWaypoint("ChangeScripts")

local FIND_PATTERN = "foo"
local REPLACE_WITH = "bar"

local services = {
	game.Workspace,
	game:GetService("ReplicatedFirst"),
	game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage"),
	game:GetService("ServerScriptService"),
	game:GetService("ServerStorage"),
	game:GetService("StarterGui"),
	game:GetService("StarterPlayer"),
	game:GetService("Lighting")
}

function GetAllScripts()
	local scripts = {}
	for _,service in pairs(services) do
		for _,child in pairs(service:GetDescendants()) do
			if (child:IsA("LuaSourceContainer")) then
				scripts[#scripts + 1] = child
			end
		end
	end
	return scripts
end

function FindAndReplace(targetScript)
	targetScript.Source = targetScript.Source:gsub(FIND_PATTERN, REPLACE_WITH)
end

for _,s in pairs(GetAllScripts()) do
	FindAndReplace(s)
end

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. I would be cautious about executing code that can change your source code. I added the history waypoint though just for safe measure. If this messes up your scripts, please don’t hurt me :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to improve this, turn the GetAllScripts function into an iterator.

12 Likes

Before, so you’re good.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Sure thing. But it would still be nice to have a built-in feature to do this. Would be easy to wrap my code into a plugin though, and use UserInputService to bind some sort of shortcut. Then you’d have to build a small UI for it too.

2 Likes

Also there should be a replace with regular expression. Example, {‘1’,‘2’} becomes “1” & “2” through 1 regular expression, reusing the original values, replacing the apostrophes.

1 Like

This is a much needed feature!

1 Like

Yes please! I was dealing with this annoyance only last week, thinking those exact words to myself the whole time.

We need this now!

2 Likes

Bumping this because we never heard any feedback on it and there’s no need to create a new thread. I came back to an old project and wanted to restructure how my modules are stored, and that means changing the code in every script that calls that module everytime I move one! Why isn’t this a feature? Is there a plugin for it, like the code @crazyman32 provided?

1 Like

There is some low-hanging fruit we can pluck with the Script Editor. We are looking at a list of them now. Hopefully more on this soon.

5 Likes

This was intended to be a new topic, but it was approved as a reply. Here is my arguments for why this should be added, because it’s still a much needed feature in Studio.

Introduction

As a developer, it is currently hard to replace all occurrences of the same value across multiple scripts. If we had Replace All as an option, it would be easier and make workflow much smoother.

Why should it be added?

We currently have access to replacing all in the current scope (the script we’re viewing), but not across all scripts. Furthermore, we can also use CTRL + SHIFT + F to Find All across all scripts.

There have been multiple instances when I’ve needed to change multiple occurrences over multiple scripts, but have had to do it separately due to the fact that there hasn’t been an option like this. Not only does this slow down progress, it also makes mass bug fixing tedious.

Even when you make a minor error that you’ve put out in multiple scripts (probably my fault for bad practices), it’s still a painful task that requires a lot of effort to fulfil.

What would it look like?

Similar to the Find All shortcut:
Shortcut could be CTRL + SHIFT + H, unless something else has occupied that.

Conclusion

I’m sure this would probably benefit at least some people, myself included.

What this allows us to do:

• Quickly fix bugs that have been pushed out across all scripts
  • Find and replace all occurrences of a mistake that you’ve rolled out across multiple scripts
  • Save time looking, improve workflow and dedicate that time to improving other aspects of your game, rather than focusing on pain-staking tasks, such as this.
7 Likes

Here’s a really good plugin that will remedy the lack of this feature;

4 Likes