Data Stores - Need help with understanding

1. What do you want to achieve?
    I want to achieve reliable Data Stores. That won’t erase every time I attempt to update the game.

2. What is the issue?
    I read through documentation regarding Data Stores, but I couldn’t figure out exactly what the description is under Enabling Studio Access. Does it mean you have two separate places, but one is developer-only with access to Data Stores? But the when where experience is hosted is not connected in Studio to Data Store or vice versa?

3. What solutions have you tried so far?
    I have read the documentation, as I have mentioned. But I would need a better explanation for this matter. What is exactly meant by that paragraph?

I hope I explained my issue well enough. The rest of the documentation is quite understandable

If Studio Access to DataStores is enabled that means you can read/write to the live DataStores for that place. That means you can overwrite existing data and potentially lose data. But it’s also good for editing data within studio with plugins such as sleitnick’s DataStore Editor.

Regarding reliable Datastores, I would recommend ProfileService. It is an op module that handles all DataStore stuff reliably and automatically and you never have to worry about it. It is very popular and used by many pro developers.

1 Like

But am I supposed to create two places? Like one that I update stuff at, and publish it to live place from there?

1 Like

You don’t need to create two places. If you know what you are doing and not querying through keys and changing stuff it’s fine to keep Studio Access enabled.

You can also create DataStores/Keys just for testing purposes if you want.

1 Like

But can update of place with DataStore erase data on publishing?

1 Like

No, publishing a place will not change anything in the DataStores.

1 Like

Great, thank you very much. Now I know.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.