[DEPRECATED] Burnout Block // Take breaks, cold-turkey

But two hours of rest isn’t a break, that’s just laziness.

1 Like

. + if you think it wouldn’t be beneficial: just try it out for a few days. Some people might not like the idea of not being able to skip breaks but that’s the entire purpose. If having a plugin with a skip button truly helped with burnout - you wouldn’t need the plugin. If you can’t deal with burnout yourself then having a skip option will never make anything better.

Even if someone truly enjoys what they do overworking will never end up good. For some people it might be plausible: like workaholics that enjoy what they’re doing. For most, however, forcing yourself to take these breaks is a good idea: don’t allow the option for yourself to mess up.

Arguing against the works of this without any knowledge of it or using a strawman falacy isn’t going to immediately prove someone wrong.

Something tells me you might just be a workaholic. If you’re not though: try it for a week. Come back with how it was for you to give legitimate counterclaims.

I know from experience that a “workaholic” still receives burnouts. No human body is capable of constant work without a buildup of exhaustion. This is a basic lesson in business psychology courses.

(Not countering you just making that an extension)

1 Like

This plugin is good, but would be better if you guys also added a “come back notification”, but I don’t know if the studio can play audio from a plugin though.

I really like the plugin I was just getting to know it in the POV of different people in different situations

Good job carry on :+1:

1 Like

I can see this being a great tool as a scripter that spends way too much time on coding. However I think this plugin could do the opposite of what it’s intended.

Let me explain.

Let’s say you get that “rare” scripter moment where for once everything is flowing and you’re making decent progress… then this window pops up.

1 Like

I like the idea behind this plugin but thirty minutes seems much too short an interval. I would at least like an option to double the break time (every one hour, five-ten minute breaks) or maybe just a longer interval should be the default (every forty-five minutes, five-ten minute breaks). Thirty minutes goes by a lot faster than it sounds like, and I think having breaks that frequently would be detrimental to progress. Personally.

2 Likes

I’ll never need to install this plugin. I don’t get burnouts.

famous last words.

No matter how exceptionally skilled or strong you are, people need time to rest. I don’t think you’ll be able to find a better example of this concept than what I’m about to share.

Skylab was a NASA space station with the goal of doing science in space, along with studying how humans could live and work in space. The missions were short, and since they had a limited amount of time, the astronauts were forced to work every single waking second. Their schedule was planned out to the minute and eventually, they got burned out and simply shut off communications for a day. Soon after, the astronauts were given breaks, because NASA realized that people need those to work efficiently. They ended up finishing all of their tasks ahead of schedule because taking breaks allowed them to be more efficient workers. To this day, breaks during work in space are not only allowed, but enforced because NASA learned the hard way that you need them.

finally got to make a reference to aerospace history on the devforum let’s gooo

1 Like

Rest timeline should be considered carefully according to medical, physical and psychological aspects, I personally have the problem to either rest too much (legit too lazy to start after afternoon snack) lol or work the whole morning (7-13), and it would be AMAZING for an application to help me decide. Ik rests are very important (I wrote an essay about physical activity, habits and its impacts on human mind), but what I meant is rest well when you rest, work hard when you work. Thx for the quote

It deleted my scripts, and didn’t add them back.

That’s quite devastating, and I want to address this issue as fast as possible.

I found the root of the problem and patched it. If you still have the plugin, please update it to prevent this issue from reoccurring.

I quite dearly apologize for this issue and I hope the reversion process was painless.

A vital flaw with the plugin was identified. Please update the plugin as soon as possible to ensure it does not happen!

1 Like

Yeah parenting to nil wouldn’t be the smartest idea… Especially since if they leave the Studio they will not come back unless manually taken out of nil (which isn’t the most fun thing you could do with those 30 minutes)

1 Like

I’ve just installed this to combat my burnouts –
As much as I like the concept; I’m still able to edit & code during the burnout period(s)?

Is this supposed to happen?

I forgot to change the post, but yes. Before, scripts we closed by parenting them to nil and parenting them back, but this proved to bug rarely and cause scripts to disappear.

I’ll fix that post right now!

At this point I’ll be deprecating the post.

1 Like

could you clone all scripts and delete the old versions to work around this problem?

That won’t work with collaborative editing.

After a couple of days of using this plugin, I must say that it is extremely helpful.

I noticed that this plugin puts sounds into your studio, however, I cannot hear them.

1 Like

no!!! dont use the ugly soundservice for audio!!! use How to use audio in plugins without soundservice or playonremove instead

Will you be able to make a new plugin or is it seemingly impossible now?

1 Like