Deprecating Lighting.Legacy, Introducing Lighting.Compatibility

This skybox…
I feel bad to see a bright rectangle on the top of sky :neutral_face:
I prefer to use legacy, unless if these things are fixed :thinking:

1 Like

But why though, that’s already in roblox, in the smooth water

2 Likes

That’s only screen space reflections, that means that things out of view won’t be shown, only things that are already rendered, even screen space reflections would be really nice to have outside of terrain, though.

Kinda sad since I preferred legacy over voxel but at least we’ll be keeping compatibility… For now at least

7 Likes

I like the idea’s it brings but it feels lesser then the old lighting system, I feel that is bad sure it may help a render issue but I feel that issue is more or less something you have to put up with to see nicer details within the game, I think if the bugs it has are fixed before the depreciation is rolled out people wouldn’t mind it but as it stands now it just feels out of place and doesn’t look as nice. But that’s just me.

I still feel part of like the neon update is very unnecessary. It removes a previously existing feature that in most colors, is not very noticeable unless you look specifically for it,and the ability dark and transparent neon parts was very useful for blur effects which currently don’t exist outside of covering the entire camera with a blureffect (If i’m wrong on that, correct me on that). For an update introducing more contrast, the ability to do more rather than less with the color from the only glowing material color available seems important. In new neon, there is also no gradient visible, which i thought was one of the highlights of the material and is pretty realistic.

Legacy (with gradient):

Compatability (without gradient):

And here’s an example image of real neon lights:

15 Likes

Counterpoint; the new neon glow is miles better and far more realistic. Old neon glow was just an alpha blend of a blurry layer, meaning the neon glow would actually make things darker sometimes. New neon glow is actual proper bloom, i.e. the neon is actually properly brighter than the rest of the scene and uses the actual bloom effect, which is made possible by the new HDR pipeline. Try reducing the ExposureCompensation and notice how it affects the bloom effect.

6 Likes

Smooth water reflections are a special case. If you look somewhat closely at the reflections as you move the camera around, you’ll see tons of stuff phasing in and out of existence. The smooth water effect distorts it enough to look reasonable - it would look absolutely trash anywhere else.

5 Likes

It’s been suggested countless times that there be some way to configure how Neon behaves per part, but correct me if I’m wrong, it’s just been ignored most times and I don’t know why. I think it would help a lot of our issues involving that.

For example, I want to have a police car with really big bright flashing lights, but street lights that aren’t the Sun itself. Is it too much to ask for?

7 Likes

I like compatibility alot. I am used to play and build with Legacy, I like voxel but it just doesn’t fit in sometimes. Compatibility is like a better version of Legacy. Same classic style but improved! Excited to see what we can make with Lightning Compatibility! :flashlight::sunny:

2 Likes

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I have also noticed this, but I have found if you increase the exposure of your clothing item it helps.

If there was real-time reflection then it would require a high-performance graphics card. Such as an RTX 2080 Ti. Real-time reflection uses ray tracing.

1 Like

I am very happy with this update. Thank you for your hard work.

3 Likes

It would be nice if you guys could release combinations of engines, for example : ShadowMap and Future, Compatibility and ShadowMap (that would look nice :wink: ).

3 Likes

It would be nice to have accurate reflections alongside this in the near future.

8 Likes

I agree, especially if we wanted a game like Super Nostalgia Zone, We could use ShadowMap to replicate the old shadows while also having the simple compatibility lighting, It wouldn’t be perfect but it would be great to have.

2 Likes

Wow, this is really cool! Glad that legacy isn’t being completely removed, but kind of upset that Lighting.Legacy is being removed. However, I know it has to be this way for ROBLOX to move on as a platform. :+1:

4 Likes

I’m hitting this exact same problem here… at first I assumed it was a shadowmap problem, but now I see. I rely on a specialmesh atmosphere that is giant. Castshadows is only in studio at the moment, so I cannot fix this lighting problem. I just hope FIB 2 comes out soon.

I hope they’ll fix that because this seems like a major issue

Compatibility has ruined the visual style of my game. It removed the glow and nice feel of neon parts in my game, replacing them with a bright smooth plastic. Everything is needlessly brighter, and the game just looks like legacy on one graphics now.

I find this change needless and forceful. Would really appreciate having the classic, original lighting system back. I understand it takes more time to maintain the old code, but I feel that its worth it to preserve the more classic theme of Roblox and keep the general aesthetic of the game. I dislike how Roblox continues replacing old features with “new and streamlined” modern features that lack key aspects of the old ones.

2 Likes