Deprecating Outlines

Personally, I have never used outlines in any of my games due to the performance drop. Although, a new alternative that looks better and works smoother would be nice.

I forgot to ask. Does this mean the SmoothNoOutlines surface is deprecated too?

9 Likes

Am I supposed to see both?

1 Like

I don’t know any developer’s that use this feature and it did not make a lot of sense in the first place.

1 Like

If i understanded correctly, “LegacyOutlines” will control outlines once “Outlines” gets hidden/deprecated.

1 Like

Perhaps, but they should probably not be displayed at the same time.

1 Like

Honestly, nobody even had control over configuring the outlines anyways, so it’s just more practical to use SurfaceGui’s to begin with. In fact, now is the best time ever for someone to make a Plugin for controlling "OutlineSurfaceGui"s with configurations. I’m sure they would be very loved by the community using Outlines right now.

1 Like

They were displayed at the same time before the change was in effect to give devs who really need outlines a chance to enable new property.

Now that the change is in effect, Outlines should not be visible anymore (the change happened ~2 hours ago, a bit after your comment)

5 Likes

Using decals, textures, selectionboxes, custom meshes, and other brick altering objects is not a viable option to replace or remove outlines for client side efficiency.

These objects just by themselves in small groups, like meshes, heavily lag and drop fps rates for players in simply built places, once a players faces or goes near them. To do outlines with textures, you have 6 sides per block to put it on. Thats crazy, and to do outlines on just 2 R6 Statues, you got 72 new instances for your players to deal with. How about we add hats to the statue next?

As for the 80% of developers, most of them don’t have the high end devices, and neither do most players. Outlines have become part of the roblox culture, from Roblox Build Mode instead of Studio, from Personal Places instead of Team Mode, from Building Sims, from Stamper Tools. LegacyOutlines is the best option for reliable performance with outlines now (I usually do smooth surfaces + ambient changes to make it work where needed).

As so, I am absolutely thankful that outlines/legacyoutlines will have a place in the ROBLOX society for at least awhile longer, its important to developers who still use that nostalgic view in their games. While not many devs here who dedicated themselves to being in the dev forums, outlines were on in every game once, defining the ROBLOX Universe ever since outlines went live.

Thank you for being transparent with us, really appreciate the headsup.

2 Likes

Outlines were added far into the development of Roblox, almost nobody liked them and they were generally out of place as they popped out of flat surfaces on models.

You are speaking of them almost as if they were a culture of their own, but they actually never were massively used.

5 Likes

ROBLOX was the place where anyone could build, where imagination and creativity were the building blocks of this universe.

There were things ROBLOX specifically offered highlighting the use of outlines, Build Mode and Personal Places/Servers were games you had stamper tools, which made 5x5x5 blocks, and housing, and sci fi, and castle, and furniture genre stuff, as well as the ability to create electrical systems using config tool and connect tool. You could resize things, and do a lot.

Outlines were the key to every player using it, even these same tools were front page in many Build To Survive, Building Sims like under the Roblox account, or Build A Cyber Security Base, etc.

It wasn’t simply turned off by devs, I think its mentioned there wasn’t a option to turn it off via boolean in here at the start, but either way, you are expecting the high end developers who do this, not the general players who experienced these kinds of games. Mad Paintball, RoFare, Muffin Defense, Club Boates, Build a Hideout And Fight, Wall Crusher since 2010, Base Wars since 2009, The Real USSF’s Foward Operating Base, many games with millions of plays.

You simply can’t say all developers because tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of people experienced building first hand using pre-made blocks, often used with outlines so they could be seen.

Closing, millions of games had outlines turned on, a billion games at least by the default roblox player game had it on before this.

It is completely normal for devs to have outlines on.

2 Likes

Fair enough, but the way they were made was flawed at the core. With the eventual return of them in a different form we should be able to specify whether we want to outline the entire model or all of its descendants. They should also be a per-object thing; an instance like texture which you place inside a basepart, except this one accepts both baseparts and models, or they could have an adornee property to avoid cluttering the hierarchy.

2 Likes

Roblox has removed outlines for this reason. Outlines are a legacy feature, I suggest changing your games to be less reliant on Outlines.

1 Like

That “status quo and forcing features on everyone” reminds me of the old legacy terrain that was rather… blocky, and how I had used it for gameplay purposes that don’t really work with smooth terrain’s greater focus on, well, being terrain.

I kinda like outlines, though I definitely didn’t at first, I guess it grew on me in some fashion. Performance improvements are a fair trade, though, I suppose.

3 Likes

I thought outlines were a thing since the beginning, not 2013! I suggest using SelectionBoxes as an alternative to outlines.

1 Like

I’n perfectly fine with the LegacyOutlines now at least, you guys did some fine tuning from making the new outlines with black selection boxes to actually what it used to look like.

Some of my games relied on selection boxes, such as this plank floor in a WIP I made.

I really don’t prefer textures, and haven’t ever minded the part count tbh.

1st without LegacyOutlines

2nd and 3rd with LegacyOutlines

This was like for old lazer tag war games on roblox. With the hyper lazers, but its not really what I build with.

Another downside is that the surfaces are being removed, meaning everything will be outlines instead of what I specifically want to have outlines?

Anyways, still feeling okay with Outline’s removal because LegacyOutlines was created, thanks.

EDIT:

Meant to say Outlined Parts, instead of selection boxes between pictures 1 and 2.

You could have easily replaced the outlines on those planks with textures and save up a lot of memory.

1 Like

I don’t like those materials for what I do, I have a unique style using outlines, from buildings to flooring and decor.

I’m talking custom textures. Find a free plank texture online, scale it down to a reasonable resolution and make the edges of the individual planks 0,0,0. The result should be the same with much better performance

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.