Deprecating Outlines

On the View tab:

Grid material was designed specifically to make it easier to build in Studio - if it doesn’t help as much as outlines do then we probably need to know and figure out how to improve it.

10 Likes

If I’m being honest, outlines are, in my opinion, one of the worst features ever to be shipped. The net effect of them was to mainly just put random lines over walls where the parts were supposed to seamlessly fit together. Prefer the extra render efficiency over outlines 100%

22 Likes

Thank you! Outlines usually get in the way of my games’ art style anyways. A welcome change!

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this day since outlines were released.

7 Likes

Ok thought no one used outlines anymore
These are pretty useless at least for me

8 Likes

I’m fine with this, I’ve always had outlines set to false - that being said I would like some sort of alternative in case I ever do need outlines in the future. Perhaps a less “rooted” version of outlines (more like post processing) would work best. Glad to hear roblox is getting easier to maintain.

2 Likes

I’d love some more post processing effects. it’d be amazing to create games that looked like this:

13 Likes

Old games will have a slightly stranger feel to them now, unless they’re updated manually.

2 Likes

Outlines used to be good back then while building to align the blocks perfectly in case of detail building but nowadays is not necessary, if anything we would need to have a feature to remove or make thinner the outline colors while selecting blocks, they are usually obstructive at sight when free moving blocks to align them.

2 Likes

How will Lighting.LegacyOutlines benefit the community?

1 Like

So glad this was posted and decided. I was just looking in lighting last week, and was wondering what the outlines = true was all about in my game. I toggled it on and off for a while, but didn’t see any difference, so I left it was it always has been, set to true. I have used the same place map since 2015 and had no idea that it was causing me not to take advantage of part instancing. Thank you for the post and update!

1 Like

Aw, I love outlines. Really helps establish a cartoony-comic vibe.

3 Likes

Make sure to contribute to a feature request in Platform Feedback, since feedback like that will get lost in this topic.

6 Likes

Its explained in his post, it means you can still have outlines if you want to lose performance at the cost of it of course.

Question for Staff:

Does this mean as of right now even if the outlines is off we are still being affected by its implementation in the rendering system?

3 Likes

It’s nice to see further transparency and elaboration on this change than previous ones. I’m glad Roblox seems to be moving in the right direction in that regard. Bad solutions are one thing, particularly to tough problems, but not being transparent about the problems is another, and both seem to be getting better. I don’t personally use outlines (I didn’t notice much of a change when I experimented with them, being honest…) but I recognize that many devs do like the pre-option look (with the outlines).

This change probably won’t get as much attention as FiB or other changes, and indeed it seems to be relatively minor, but the way the change was handled is something I think everyone should appreciate.

Please keep it up! :slight_smile:

And apologies if I sounded mean or harsh or something, I couldn’t think of a better wording.

1 Like

Just to make sure this is noted, the Outlines property can be changed by scripts. When the time comes to remove outlines, the property should just be deprecated so it doesn’t break any scripts that refer to it.

My game automatically sets it to false during the server-side initialization phase.

17 Likes

I remember when outlines were introduced and I was really confused (and even kind of upset). I think it’s a necessary change personally.

1 Like

I dont build, but when I do I can say in my own opinion that outlines are one of the absolute worst things to come to roblox. Thank you so much for depricating this! :smile:

2 Likes

I do, and to be honest I always disabled them (yep even in 2014 they were still on by default…)

That aside, @zeuxcg you have all my gratitude for the transparency about this update. It was about time that these outlines were to be given the axe (to the point I even forgot that they were still a thing).

I remember the day outlines came out and everyone and their mother complained. I was also in that boat. Good riddance.

Also, I appreciate the amount of effort that went into this thread. Thanks.

7 Likes